Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life decisions - big time edition  (Read 1973 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Life decisions - big time edition
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:21 am »

Hey guys, I'm trying to come up with what I'm going to do in the future. It's not about which university or which job or even which city to live in, but pretty much anything. I have a blank slate and lots of options, which makes it extremely hard.

Short background on me: I'm a German cyclist/traveller and been touring around the world for 8 years, sustained by the passive income from renting out a house + other things. I'm finally selling said house, which also requires me to get rid of most (95%) of my belongings, since I don't intend to buy a new one in Germany, but instead remain nomadic to a certain degree for a while. This is a big chance for me, since I always planned 1 tour, did it, came back home, rested, planned the next tour, rinse and repeat. Now I'd be operating without safety net, so to speak.

The house has to be emptied till the 01.01.2016, while I'm currently in Taiwan and still have to get to Germany till then, which will take 4-6 months.

Here my ideas. (I did not write this text with bay12 in mind, but for my personal use, but might as well post it here)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My current plan, the best combination I could come up with is this: Cycle the silkroad as planned, since I have sponsors for this tour and I don't want to betray their trust. It will take 4-6 months, which means I have 1-3 months in Germany to clear out my house and prepare anything else. While cycling I already prepare the photo-book, the webcomic and the mods as best as possible and do research on the ideas that require more information, like the Caribbean tour, since I know fairly little about hitchhiking on boats.

I come back home and finish the photo-book, release it and start asking camera-manufacturers for possible sponsorships, expecting honestly not much in return. Bike and outdoor gear, yes, but electronics I'm not famous enough for. It doesnt hurt to try though.

I'll sell most of my stuff, mostly keeping adventuring gear in boxes ready to be picked up if I do a specific tour that requires them. The sales should give me enough funds for photography gear and a gaming with large screen laptop. These items ease the amount of work I have to do for all digital projects.

I fly to India and stay there for 6-12 months, because it's cheap and warm and has reasonable internet. I work on 4 projects: The blog, the book, the comic and the mods, sustaining myself (hopefully) with the Patreon, while my other passive income is safed for future tours. On average I tour to one nearby country a month if possible; doing 6 new countries a year would be a minimum for me. I got 132 by then, still 63 to go, at some point I have to finish ^^

I use the time in India to do preparation and research on the next 1 or 2 travel-related ideas, the sailing, the rafting, the hiking, the mountaineering and the bicycling. Since by that time I already have the blog online, I can use my website, the photobook and the blog as a better portfolio to find more sponsors for gear. After 6-12 months in India, I embark on my next journey.

For reference, this is the map of the countries I've already been (black) and will do on the silkroad (dark-grey). The countries around India I hope to do when I'm there, and any other future tour would be in the so far unmarked countries.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So... yeah. Don't know of bay12 is the best place to post that. It's mostly personal opinion anyway, but if you guys have better ideas, projects that I can add to the list, or know something about doing any of the things I plan to do, feel free to share. I think my plan is pretty good, but I know how resourceful the people here are and lots of minds are always better than just one.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Life decisions - big time edition
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:03 am »

Heh. Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan here, Meph. Maybe you could try doing a VLOG while you're on one of your tours and then just talk about the stuff you've been doing every day.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:51:28 am »

Like this, this or this? It's not really daily stuff though.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »

Hm. The question is, why are you selling your house? Seems like you're just getting rid of your "passive" income for no reason? Unless, of course you are really against going back every half a year to check up on the place? In terms of what you mean to do, I am gathering that you want to live mostly off of sponsorships and smaller sales as you live nomadically/adventure. Do you write at all? In our wireless age, it seems like an especially good option for such a interesting gentleman.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 01:46:45 am »

It's a longer story and partly not within my influence anymore. I'd certainly reduce my passive income, but the money on the bank would of course still generate some. I'd also get rid of the responsibility and be more free.

I don't live of sponsorships, they only help me bring down the cost of larger tours. For example on the tour through Siberia I spend ~1500€ to get to China, but carried ~10k€ on equipment. Getting most of that for free makes a large difference, especially since I can either keep it and reuse it on future tours or decide to tell it, which would in this case actually cover more than the tour cost.

Writing, from what I gathered, can go one of two ways: Either you write a large amount (2-4 books a month) of low-quality pulp books that you self-publish (usually 30% goes to the distributor, 70% to the author) and try to sell for a low amount of money to get an income stream, OR you write a book you actually want your name on, a labor of love so to speak, which creates next to no money. I've spoken to lots of adventurers/authors and most of them just write books because they like to write or because they want to otherwise increase their "fame", aka the prestige of being an author makes them more attractive as adventurers.

One is a lot of work with no heart, but makes money, the other is a work with a lot of heart, but makes no money. :D I just want to try it out with one book, for fun.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:32:50 pm »

Well books are good and all, but pretty time consuming, maybe try writing some editorials/articles for magazines? Y'know as a guest writer. Not all magazines are so in to that, but then there are the WIREDs of the world which revel in that stuff. Of course, I think you should go through with this, just make sure you can live in the amount of comfort that you'd like to.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 07:53:02 pm »

Sounds like your living the dream friend. I think its really cool that your an adventurer in the modern era where wealth means alot.

My question is: How much do you spend/make day to day to keep yourself fed and paid?

What else do you do besides writing? I'm not interested in doing that right now but it sounds like fun when I turn 40 or something.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 09:03:27 pm »

Sounds like your living the dream friend. I think its really cool that your an adventurer in the modern era where wealth means alot.

My question is: How much do you spend/make day to day to keep yourself fed and paid?

What else do you do besides writing? I'm not interested in doing that right now but it sounds like fun when I turn 40 or something.

I second this. I wish I was an adventurer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:17:25 am »

I second this. I wish I was an adventurer.
There is nothing stopping you, but you might romanticise what I do. ;)

Well books are good and all, but pretty time consuming, maybe try writing some editorials/articles for magazines? Y'know as a guest writer. Not all magazines are so in to that, but then there are the WIREDs of the world which revel in that stuff. Of course, I think you should go through with this, just make sure you can live in the amount of comfort that you'd like to.
I'm not a writer, the book I'd write to become one. Or at least to be able to call myself an author. It's a hobby project, which at the same time also might increase my portfolio and/or purse, but neither of those is the main reason I'd be doing it. The main reason is that I've always said that if 100 people ask me to write it, I'll write it. That number has been reached long ago.

I dislike comfort btw. It kills you, very slowly without you even being aware of it. Whenever I notice that I slip into something akin to a daily routine, never leaving my comfort zone, I do my earnest to change that, which is why I push myself so hard.

$10-20 a day, plus equipment (sponsored in my case), plus insurance (expensive in my case, I'm German) plus the occasional splurge like a flight or a shiny piece of electronics. Usually I earn a bit more than I spend while touring, coming home with a little bit more money on my account than with what I left. Which is good, because I don't have to spend my time in Germany working/saving, but instead I can rest, plan and prepare the next tour without delay.

I don't write btw. I've done maybe ~10 guestposts/interviews for people that approached me, that's it.

I wouldnt do what I do when I'm 40. Try to do it when you are 20, that is much more reasonable.

But I wasnt looking for more questions, instead I thought about advice or other opinions or additional ideas or criticism or being refered to someone who knows someone who knows something. :P

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:08:12 am »

As it seems now, you're pretty happy cycling all the time, aren't you? And if you make money doing something you love or something this interesting, I see no real reason to slow down... The matter about the house is a bit of a pain though. What do you plan to do with the money afterwards? Germany probably made a nice home port because of all the first world comforts, but it sounds like you're really beyond wanting those anymore with all the time you spend out of all the "easy to live in" parts of the world.

If I were you, I'd get the camera gear and start sending email resumes to magazines as a nature photographer or something similar. You have a blog that you can show them your work on, and as you've said that's the only thing really holding you back from professional quality photos. With better gear you can take better photos to get money from magazines to get more publicity to get more sponsorships to get better gear... I think you've found a way to see the world and get paid for it, and that's a very rare thing. I wouldn't try to shy away from that yet.