Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reason for lack of kobolds and goblin snatchers?  (Read 1241 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reason for lack of kobolds and goblin snatchers?
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:53:07 am »

I have yet to see either of these in 40.##. Anyone know the cause and/or solution?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Reason for lack of kobolds and goblin snatchers?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:29:19 am »

I have found kobolds in 2 of my .40.xx forts. (on 3 forts) And they come regularly.

Goblin snatchers are a thing of the past, it seems.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 07:40:24 am »

snatchers are indeed irregular these days, which is a shame as much hilarity usually ensued.

Thieves should still be around, just need to be embarked close enough to a goblin fortress & kobold cave.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:41:38 am »

All thieves I've seen since 40.13 are keas and kea men. ::)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:05:19 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:51:12 am »

I've poked through legends and goblin baby snatchers are still very much active in world gen at least.  Right up until I started there were goblin abduction events.

Whats more curious is that Koboblds seem to be gone.  They'll still steal, but if you actually go to a kobold cave it'll be empty.  Double check it in legends and it has 300+ kobolds there.  Flip through event log and most are alive still... return in DF mode and its abandoned. 

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:16:14 am »

kobolds appear from time to time. but is at random, it can happen early in the fort or later. as they dont have a civilization to see at worldgen so its more of chance. maybe settling in more neutral/savage biomes.

goblin snatchers in the other hand, it seems they are as bugged as marching armies so they exist and work in worldgen but you never see them in fort mode.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »

The "armies camp forever" bug was reported to be fixed in 0.40.23. Armies (and snatchers, kobolds, etc.) *should* be able to attack with more frequency now. Try updating to the latest version.

I've never had a problem with kobolds in 2014 (showing up yearly)...unless you count my dwarves losing it when they see them die. Then again, I've only done one fort this version (0.40.18; I've yet to update.) I haven't encountered goblins of any kind, however, including snatchers. I suspect that's the camp forever bug.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:42:42 am »

I've encountered thieves, but no snatchers (running 40.19). Though I think in this case I have only just now started getting kobold thieves and I am nowhere near goblins...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:46:01 am »

I haven't gotten a snatcher in any 40.xx's. Quite a few kobolds though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 06:52:12 pm »

Some of my forts get some thief's while others don't. I've never got any snatchers but they still kidnap children from other civs on legends.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 07:01:04 pm »

well apparently kobolds are not a certainty anymore, and goblin snatchers are just gone.