Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why ponds  (Read 666 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why ponds
« on: October 14, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »

I dug out a pair of ponds.  One I've stocked with lobsters and the other cave fish.  Does this accomplish anything?  I don't see how I can foodify the critters.  They don't seem to breed.  And I don't think the dwarves are popping in to have a look.

Does a pond raise the value of a room?  Could I improve noble rooms by giving them fish ponds?

Rylen

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: why ponds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »

They're used to improve rooms, and to be an aspect of a "zoo" which your dwarves can start parties in.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

have a pond.. no traps yet (to capture the fish).. i was thinking it might act like a cage... you know.. you put the fish in.. they breed after a while.. and you gut them.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »

it would be nice to be able to stock fishponds in a "safe" area.  As far as I know, the cave is always under threat from frog/lizard/snakemen, and your indoor fishers are occassionally lost to these nasties.

It would be keen to stock ponds of breeding fish, so that you could fish in a safe area.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:15:00 pm »

fishing as a recreation?

... fish farming?

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »

It's not like they don't do that in real life.  Haven't you ever heard of farm-grown salmon?

That's honestly what I thought the pond in this game was for, too, though it now occurs to me that there's no way to tell a dwarf where to fish from, which kind of sucks because they've yet to learn that there aren't any fish in the outside river.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

Actually, are there EVER any fish in the outside river? I don't think I've ever seen a dwarf catch anything from it. Am I just starting in bad areas, or fishing at the wrong seasons?

(Or are there some raw files I could change to add river fish? My outside dwarf colonies tire of nothing but turtle, turtle biscuits, turtle stew and turtle roast; "Turtle and Turtle Alone Day" gets tiring after a few months...)