Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help learning a bit about interactions  (Read 774 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help learning a bit about interactions
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:49:39 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been done before, but I couldn't really find a tutorial on interactions... So i'm kind of going blind with it. Basically, what I want to do is make elves more powerful by giving them really powerful spells they can use to make some Fun. Basically i'm using the elves to learn to do these type of interactions so I can later do it with my own totally custom creatures. So far I've been able to make a 'blood shot' kind of thing that allows them to shoot their own blood, in frozen form, at enemies. It doesn't work too well, just causing some bruising mostly. Until I made their blood have the properties of steel that is. So I instead decided to give them a 'Steel shot' which is basically the same thing, it just literally shoots steel instead of blood.

My problem is though, they just shoot it in globs. I want them to be able to have a sharp edge on the steel shots, but i'm not sure how to go about this.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Here's the raw for the interaction I made, it's simply a modified version of spitting.
Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Steel shot]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND
[CDI:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL:SOLID_GLOB]
[CDI:VERB:shoot:shoots:NA]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:15]
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Need help learning a bit about interactions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:12:21 pm »

I don't think it's possible to do anything to the shape of the globs, although denser materials like metals do seem to work better, so there's that at least.  The interaction effects are hardcoded and there are lots of things that one can imagine doing, but aren't actually possible.

I have an ice mage cast that can shoot ice globs, and he can later learn to cast a debuff spell on opponents that makes ice/water weapons do more damage.  It seems to work OK.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »

I don't think it's possible to do anything to the shape of the globs, although denser materials like metals do seem to work better, so there's that at least.  The interaction effects are hardcoded and there are lots of things that one can imagine doing, but aren't actually possible.

I have an ice mage cast that can shoot ice globs, and he can later learn to cast a debuff spell on opponents that makes ice/water weapons do more damage.  It seems to work OK.

Oooo... Would it be possible to cast a type of AOE spell that causes wooden weapons to cause more damage? That would help a lot. :p Or maybe I could just increase the strength of elves? I'm trying to think of spells I can give them that will make them more of a threat.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:21:01 pm »

Don't have time to walk through every bit of how to do it but here's how it works and some comments

Here's the CDI -- this comes from a syndrome that teaches the Orc this spell -- the first two lines of yours will be different if you give it to the creature as an intrinsic ability (it'll be a CAN_DO_INTERACTION rather than CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION)

[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:PROB:100] # permanent
  [CDI:INTERACTION:CHILL_BLOOD_ORC]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:chill blood]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
[CDI:VERB:chills the blood of enemies:chills the blood of enemies:NA]
[CDI:TARGET_VERB:is deeply chilled and more vulnerable to storms:is deeply chilled and more vulnerable to storms:NA]
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:20]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:3] // makes it "AOE" sort of -- three targets
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:300]

and here's the interaction

[INTERACTION:CHILL_BLOOD_ORC]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:HAS_BLOOD]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:victim]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:chill blood]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:chilled blood]
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:20:START:0:END:100] // delent
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:40:START:101:END:300] // delete
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:80:START:301:END:1000] // delete
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:INORGANIC:ICEBOLT_ORC:3:1:START:1:END:1000] // replace with your material(s) and start/end times
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:WATER:3:1:START:1:END:1000]  // replace with your material(s) and start/end times

Honestly the easiest way to make elves more of a threat is just to give them metal weapons.  Or, new types of bows/arrows with such high velocity and low contact area that even wooden ones can punch through armor, if that's even possible.  But either way, have fun! :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:23:09 pm by smakemupagus »