Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally, settled on an elf-blood soaked tundra (40.19)  (Read 2483 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Finally, settled on an elf-blood soaked tundra (40.19)
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:29:36 am »

I had been playing with a population limit of 7. (Sometimes I let the game run while I was doing other works so I prefer a relatively relaxing play style)

This fort was founded in year 113, by The Tired Mines of The Late Wheel. The expedition leader picked a appropriate name: Shuthrazmomuz, "Ectocrypts". The place was an evil tundra that snowed elf blood all the time.

The first year, the mason Sigun Ringedfortunes died. She went out to pasture the cow in a bloody storm when the undead reindeers attacked. The undead kicked her brain out and killed the donkey in the same way, they spared the cow for some reason. Soon Sigun was reanimated and killed the cow she was pasturing before she died, by punching through its brain.

Since they locked her outside when the undead attacked, other dorfs thought she went missing, despite they put her zombie version in a cage and displayed her in the meeting hall. They also caught the zombie cow and zombie donkey and sold them to the caravan from mountainhome later, pretending them to be normal cow and donkey.

The ex-expedition leader Asmel Portalriders was appointed as the manager-bookkeeper-broker and Udil Playpost assumed the position of expedition leader. Everyone was recruited, two squads were created. And the dorfs began to conquer the caverns.

"Hey commander Asmel, what's that big white thing over there?" asked captain Meng.
 "Oh good Armok, a Blind Cave Ogres!"
 "What do we get?"
 "Nothing but two copper axes and the wood cutters are felling shroom trees with them, the manager said this place doesn't have weapon grade metals."
 "But think about that, this place is haunted, we've seen dead walk and moving dogs skin, who knows what will happen if we kill one those BCOs?"
 "Right. Tell them to bring as many logs as they can, we'll seal this cavern with cage traps."

So they left the O alone, and the O was happy to ignore the haulers running around. It smashed a door and left, satisfied by its building-destroyer nature.

Next year(114), a potter arrived to replace the missing mason. He was a 27 years old young lad who had tons of cousins. He was the first migrant I had seen since 40.13, so I appointed him as the chief medical dorf. No wonder, he was always whining about being separated from Urist RandomCousin.

"Look, Mistem Rackoiled, we don't have a doctor and we have no clay but elf blood snow here. So why not stop being a potter?"

Then I got bored and wanted the second immigrant "wave". So I changed the cap to 10. Shortly after that(year 115 actually) 3 dorfs arrived.

Urvad(♀) Ringcarried and Eral(♂) Brassweakens were a young couple. Urvad was 16 and Eral was 18. To be honest, I never saw married dorfs being this young. The last migrant Bembul(♀) Inkclubs was 24. Like other typical post 40.13 migrants, they all whined about their lost cousins.

I gave the 3 new migrants a squad, with Bembul as the captain...

So far all has been well, no one besides Sigun MisRingedfortunes died. There were small accidents like haunted dog skins and crundle scales, but the dorfs have built enough cage traps around the butchery, so I think they'll be safe.

For the first time, I successfully embarked on an raising biome. 8)

My workshop level:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:33:58 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Finally, settled on an elf-blood soaked tundra (40.19)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »

Well I'm having a problem.

The caravan from the mountainhome was attacked and they dropped a wagon of goods. Those include lots of logs, steel bars and coals I request last year. The merchants left before they reached the trade depot, so now I got all those free logs and bars.

The liaison was good, so perhaps I could still request more free goods next year? ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:53:30 pm »

You could, but I think the amounts of goods brought decrease if the caravans lose too much money. Seems like an interesting fort, though.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 07:10:53 pm »

Should probably be in "community forts" rather than DF discussion given the first post.

As far as i'm aware with dwarves, you can continue stealing from them without too much hassle, as according to the wiki it isn't possible for them to attack you due to loyalty cascades.

link: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Siege#Dwarf_sieges
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:29:33 pm »

Should probably be in "community forts" rather than DF discussion given the first post.
Yeah, but I thought it was a story too simple.

You could, but I think the amounts of goods brought decrease if the caravans lose too much money. Seems like an interesting fort, though.

That is too bad. Maybe I can offer give them free zombies for their lose next year (if they come to my trade depot alive).

It seems I can farm wool zombies for money:

1) let the dorfs dump hair/wool
2) shear alpacas in a secured workshop
3) carry the wool to a secured garbage dump site (wall off and cage trapped)
4) wait for the reanimated wool zombie to be caged

I also find wool zombies are not too dangerous. A decent soldier can deal with it easier, unlike those feather zombies.
I don't know if the shattered zombie parts (wool from various body parts) can be reanimated, but I have seen reanimated crundle scale parts, maybe the logics are similar.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:34:26 pm by utunnels »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:40:40 am »

That is too bad. Maybe I can offer give them free zombies for their lose next year (if they come to my trade depot alive).

It seems I can farm wool zombies for money:

1) let the dorfs dump hair/wool
2) shear alpacas in a secured workshop
3) carry the wool to a secured garbage dump site (wall off and cage trapped)
4) wait for the reanimated wool zombie to be caged

I also find wool zombies are not too dangerous. A decent soldier can deal with it easier, unlike those feather zombies.
I don't know if the shattered zombie parts (wool from various body parts) can be reanimated, but I have seen reanimated crundle scale parts, maybe the logics are similar.
Awesome. Can you automate it?
Reanimated fur is going to become the new mermaid bones, isn't it?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 07:26:35 am »

Well too bad wool takes a long time to grow back. So maybe a masterwork yarn cloak is better.

Zombie industry is just for fun. :P

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:02 am »

Well I'm having a problem.

The caravan from the mountainhome was attacked and they dropped a wagon of goods. Those include lots of logs, steel bars and coals I request last year. The merchants left before they reached the trade depot, so now I got all those free logs and bars.

The liaison was good, so perhaps I could still request more free goods next year? ::)

Well, the next year.
They unloaded their goods successfully. We traded without incidents. Then a group of reindeer zombies came. I should have locked them to wait the zombies out. Their wagons left the map, but other merchants decided to try a different edge... and they ran into the zombies. Most of the merchants were lucky, but the last yak-merchant-gaurd trio bumped into a zombie, then the whole group began to attack and killed the yak. The axedwarf fought back and was quickly overwhelmed by the undead. R.I.P., fellow dwarf, at least your protectee managed to escape. ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:14:25 am by utunnels »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 10:14:03 am »

Heheheheeheheheheheh.