Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged dog skin  (Read 1730 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Caged dog skin
« on: December 26, 2014, 02:34:15 am »

Well I slaughter a dog and its skin raised. So I built a trap and caught the skin zombie.
Will the skin escape the cage eventually? Or Can I use it as a zoo?

The cage reads: dog (♀) cage
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Caged dog skin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:36:23 am »

It should be safe for a zoo.

AFAIK only vermin can escape from cages.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 02:37:56 am »

Well, that is fine. I wonder if my dorfs can treated it as a normal dog and throw parties around the cage.

Or maybe I can build a danger room and use the skin to train some soldiers.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:13 am »

Well, that is fine. I wonder if my dorfs can treated it as a normal dog and throw parties around the cage.
AFAIK what kind of animal is in the cage does not matter except in two ways:
If the dwarf likes/dislikes that particular animal they will get happy/stressed by that (I don't know if the skin would count as a whole dog for this, but it probably does and dwarves can only dislike vermin so that is not a worry)
If the animal is valuable it raises the room value (which can make dwarves using it happier).

I have displayed zombie goblins and elves before with no problems :)

Or maybe I can build a danger room and use the skin to train some soldiers.
Not a good idea! Skins can be deadly, and sometimes very hard to kill.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:58:42 am »

That is good. I'll save it for !!science!!

Not a good idea! Skins can be deadly, and sometimes very hard to kill.
OK then I need to get feather zombies. They don't kill. :)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 03:12:23 am »

Trust me you do NOT want something hard to kill for training! Even if whatever it is is cannot hurt the dwarves, they will attack it until they die of thirst.

In 34.11 you could often just kick them out of the military and they would run away, but that will not work most of the time in 40.x as they will continue to steadfastly attack.

I recently lost a whole fortress to an alligator. My dwarves knocked it out and proceeded to beat on its head until they all died (at exactly the same instant) of thirst. Nothing I tried persuaded them to take a break.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 03:16:01 am »

Well I can add a cage trap at the door, when they are tired, I just open the door and eventually the dummy should walk into the cage. :)

I recently lost a whole fortress to an alligator. My dwarves knocked it out and proceeded to beat on its head until they all died (at exactly the same instant) of thirst. Nothing I tried persuaded them to take a break.
You should have checked their skills, maybe they were already legendary fighters?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:19:40 am by utunnels »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 03:57:05 am »

Well I can add a cage trap at the door, when they are tired, I just open the door and eventually the dummy should walk into the cage. :)
IF you get lucky. If you get unlucky you could end up with a dead military. Just use something that is easy for a fully equipped dwarf to kill and give your trainees training weapons (training weapons cause LESS damage than no weapon at all). Keep a fully armed dwarf or two around to end training when desired.

You should have checked their skills, maybe they were already legendary fighters?
No, they were proficient at best, dwarves are simply very reluctant to break off a fight, particularly if they are "winning".

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 07:32:42 am »

Yeah, it seems they don't care about the content of the cages.
I caught the zombie dwarf and display her cage in the hall. ::)

Then I check the thoguht of my dorfs: He was interested near a fine Cage.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »

Yeah, it seems they don't care about the content of the cages.
I caught the zombie dwarf and display her cage in the hall. ::)

Then I check the thoguht of my dorfs: He was interested near a fine Cage.

At least he didn't feel arousal or pleasure near the cage.

I... I need brain bleach now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

Trust me you do NOT want something hard to kill for training! Even if whatever it is is cannot hurt the dwarves, they will attack it until they die of thirst.

In 34.11 you could often just kick them out of the military and they would run away, but that will not work most of the time in 40.x as they will continue to steadfastly attack.

I had a similar situation, but my dorfs were punching a panda to death instead. :(    Amazingly, their kinsmen brought them buckets of water while they 'worked'.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.