Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infinite Magma  (Read 1438 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infinite Magma
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

Hopefully without skeeving you all out by admitting to wanting a cheat, but I must admit that I would like to play with Magma a bit more without draining my supply.  I have seen movies of past methods of making infinite magma, such as the ol' U-turn, which were fixed (for magma, at least).  However my question is: is there still a way to get infinite magma?  The map archive has that movie and those maps of the guy doing it in his fortress with a series of pumps powered by a tower of windmills.  I could build such a thing and have the gear connecting the windmills placed such that it gets destroyed when the magma reachs the right level or place, so that it would be completely sure to turn off.  Is this in one of the recent versions?  Is it possible to use their method in the new version?
And do any of you have a quick and dirty overview of the basis behind their method, hopefully in terms of game code and/or dynamics?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Magma
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

As far as I am aware, there are two methods that can get more magma: U-bend trickery and magma-creating utility on the wiki.

If the u-bend bug was fixed (alas) then that is not going to help.

That leaves the magma-creating utility, which may or may not work with the new version until the utility too is updated.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

The U-bend bug will be fixed in the next version, along with some more awesome-to-fix bugs.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

The water I figured was not fixed yet, but I was wondering about magma.  For example, since magma won't flow up in the Z direction on it's own, therefore rendering the U-turn trick useless, what other methods exist that will work for magma?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

>_< Dammit, I liked the U-Bend bug.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

I was actually not aware that magma ran out. I have a magma forge set up and until now everything has been fine, i never stopped to check and see if magma was actually dropping in quantity. But now im designing a cannon that will pour magma out, above my fort, outside my walls, onto attacking goblins; will this quickly deplete the magma?
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

New news! Magma vents will now slowly regain magma! Toady said so himself! All hail the Toad! Exclamation points!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

Hooray! Sounds like good news!

quote:
I have a magma forge set up and until now everything has been fine, i never stopped to check and see if magma was actually dropping in quantity.
Magma doesn't get used up by sitting under a forge. It is used up when pouring water onto it to create obsidian or spreading it out over the country-side to kill elves.

EDIT: Found where it was said

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Skanky ]

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:00 am »

MAGMA REGENERATES?  WONDERFUL!  I hope it does not solidify when I make a massive tower filled with it.  I suppose, since the refilling is probably only going to happen up to the level of the magma chamber, that I can't just put walls up and pump up out of, and then back into, the chamber and expect to be able to fill the tower I wanted to put over the chamber with it, no?...  Then again, if I have a big tower with a constant input at the exact rate of slow output, and the output is into the magma chamber, it might mean there's enough influx of hot magma to stay molten, while the chamber fills up to make up the difference from what I have removed until it balances out again...  System A will always go to X, and system B of size Y we define as coming from system A as storage, then our final value will be X+Y=egads a lot of flipping lava if I do it right... Boy it makes me glad that lava/magma does not flow pressure rules.  It makes this simpler...

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>Then again, if I have a big tower with a constant input at the exact rate of slow output, and the output is into the magma chamber, it might mean there's enough influx of hot magma to stay molten, while the chamber fills up to make up the difference from what I have removed until it balances out again...</STRONG>

magma does not solidify when separated from the vent. the only way to solidify it is to combine it with water. the idea that it solidifies from separation seems to have spread from someone putting on the wiki that it does for some reason

curufaukor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>New news! Magma vents will now slowly regain magma! Toady said so himself! All hail the Toad! Exclamation points!</STRONG>

Where was this said and for what version? I've been digging around and can't find the quote.   :roll:

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

I also linked to the thread in my previous post.