Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Climbing: Why my population is shrinking  (Read 1071 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Climbing: Why my population is shrinking
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:04:55 am »

So I finally figured out what kept killing my miners/haulers in my open-air quarries (not wildlife!) It's already claimed the lives of two of my founding seven...and injured or killed probably ten others in a fort of - well, now it's at 20. (At least one other founding seven was injured, and stayed in the rudimentary hospital being continuously diagnosed for about a year [three legendary diagnosers now] before being released with an infection but no other wounds.)

I thought it was as simple as a dwarf mining out the tile beneath another dwarf, sending them tumbling down, maybe dodging and landing on somebody else, or getting crushed by a boulder or something.

Nope.

I think that does happen, the tile mining - but instead of gracefully falling uninjured to the ramp awaiting below (1z fall), the dwarf clings to the wall of the quarry, and - now jobless, since the job got cancelled - tries to go all spiderman, climb all the way along the quarry wall horizontally back to the dining hall, and eventually falls when they're about 6z up. Instant death, or heavy injury. Dead founding seven.

Luckily, at least, I think the ones who've died have had children. Their legacy will live on...

This is 0.40.18 or 19; I don't quite remember.

Anyone else experience this? It's literally the only time I've seen anything climb ingame, and it's killing my citizens.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing: Why my population is shrinking
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 12:14:53 am »

I have yet to see a dwarf climb...
I saw goblins though, but all my dorfs did when they were trapped was sitting there waiting for their rescue.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 01:05:23 am »

Yeah, the only other time I'd seen dwarfs climbing was on the wall of another quarry, a long time ago...and I was very confused :P

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 02:46:39 am »

I had some dwarves climbing recently. I've been digging a moat around the fort, and part of it goes through a mountain, meaning I've got 20 something z-level channel.

Some wolves on the far side caused all 3 of my legendary hunters to dodge into the moat, 1 died instantly, the other 2 ended up hospitalised with every bone in their body broken (I think those 2 might have grabbed the wall, lost their grip and fallen again from a shorter distance).

After sending the militia to extract vengeance I noticed that instead of walking up the slope to the corpses they walked along the bottom and then climbed up the wall 20 something z-levels while I watched and prayed they wouldn't plummet to their deaths.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 04:43:24 am »

newest DF has fixed this :)
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

towersquid

• Bay Watcher
  • All of my migrants are farmers. . . dirty farmers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:34:46 pm »

Unrelated and probably already established, but if you take a look at cats (maybe not all cats), they are legendary climbers. I've had one or two dorfs climb before I think. . . they died.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 10:06:23 pm »

What? My Dorfs climb trees constantly. It's really annoying..