Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complex skill trees  (Read 767 times)

Complex skill trees
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »

Greetings fellow overlords.
 I have done some research on the topic and I was surprised that no one thought the military skills are a bit simple, three levels of mastery (including recruit)+weapon.
I think it should be more like combat teamwork bravery+level+combat style+weapon+level of mastery, to give something like cowardly solo berserker spearmaster, or courageous team dependent sniper elite marksdwarf.

Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Complex skill trees
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 08:41:36 pm »

No.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:54:06 pm »

Why not?
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 11:17:51 pm »

We don't need horrendously long and overcomplicated titles that most people wont read when the information could be taken from their personality. Your other suggestions are great, just this is a 100% no.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »

More importantly, dwarves already have 101 levels of bravery, 20 levels of weapon mastery (of which there are over 5 skills), 20 levels of discipline, 20 levels of melee combat skills, 20 levels of observational skills, 20 levels of ranged combat skills, 101 levels of anger propensity, up to 5000 levels of strength, agility, toughness, willpower and 8 other combat-related attributes, 101 levels of opinions on independence, 20 levels of dodging, 20 levels of shield skills, 20 levels of armor wearing skills and 20 levels of sneaking skills.

I would not use the word "simple" at all.

The "3 levels" you list are, in fact, when they have 0 in a weapon skill, 1-15 in a weapon skill and 15-20 in a weapon skill, respectively.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:36:05 pm by Putnam »
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:38:33 am »

Oh ok.