Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Dwarven Feels  (Read 767 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
My Dwarven Feels
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:09:24 am »

How does the new emotion system work?

I've read along with several threads, and it seems that unhappy=eventual stress, so while the unhappy fades, the stress remains (for how long?).  Then how do RED emotions like horrified and vengeful act?  What about nothing?

I'm gathering there is also a spectrum of feelings relative to strength.  Say, annoyed isn't as strong as grouchy?  Well, does anyone have a list or a good reference?  I don't think I'm understanding the full problems here.

My forts tend to be a bit . . . harsh . . . in terms of individual happiness, so this is important to me.  I will say that, in the one 2 year fort I did run, not 1 dwarf slipped under 'fine', despite a few animal and dwarven deaths.

---

Also, it seems that happy thoughts don't directly counteract stress.  So how does it work?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:16:54 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: My Dwarven Feels
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:24:48 am »

Spectrum Boom:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion

Personalities determine how dwarves react to things and how easy it is to avoid stress. In the newer versions stress is much longer term, to the point that unless you have a dwarf with chronic wounds you may never have a problem with your hardy dwarves going mad. However, this also makes it much harder to fix dwarves that do get depressed, they have to get away from the things causing them stress and also get a steady supply of happy thoughts (happy thoughts are weaker than negative thoughts so negativity just overwhelms the positives if not removed). Apart from stress I don't think emotions actually do anything but add flavor right now, but that could change in the future (or I may just be wrong).

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Dwarven Feels
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:44:26 pm »

Spectrum Boom:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion

Personalities determine how dwarves react to things and how easy it is to avoid stress. In the newer versions stress is much longer term, to the point that unless you have a dwarf with chronic wounds you may never have a problem with your hardy dwarves going mad. However, this also makes it much harder to fix dwarves that do get depressed, they have to get away from the things causing them stress and also get a steady supply of happy thoughts (happy thoughts are weaker than negative thoughts so negativity just overwhelms the positives if not removed). Apart from stress I don't think emotions actually do anything but add flavor right now, but that could change in the future (or I may just be wrong).

Aye, I had a dwarf loose a foot in the first year.  I gave him an engraved spatial room with high-quality decorated furniture.  He did NOTHING but bitch at my expedition leader/mayor until he threw a tantrum inside the mayor's bedroom.  I checked his thoughts and it was just LOADED with "pleasant/blissful" thoughts.  However.... he did get "horrified" at seeing the corpses of a couple coyote men and trolls.  While He was long removed from seeing the deaths, he can't exactly regrow his foot (without lyconthropy at least).  I think I was 3 years in before his first tantrum, though.  I was just becoming a barony.