Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My newest artifact: a cat leather shield  (Read 1220 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My newest artifact: a cat leather shield
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:11 am »

... on it is an image of an artifact hood made by another dwarf :P

While the image is unlikely to strike terror in our foes, an artifact shield, even if "only" made of cat leather, sounds a lot more useful than an artifact hood - it's now being proudly wielded by a spearmaster.

However... what does it being an artifact do, exactly?  I know it's indestructible, but appart from that, what are the in-game consequences for a shield being an artifact?
hamster cheese supplies are low

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: My newest artifact: a cat leather shield
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:29 am »

I suppose it gives a bonus to shield use.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:34 am »

Artifact armor gets a 3x deflection bonus. The wiki lists shields under armor, so i guess it receives this same bonus.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:50:08 pm »

basically as said it is simply better than a masterwork shield. Seeing shield material only affects bashes, this is actually excellent because it is lightweight and highly effective.
I'd much rather a cat leather shield than a steel one.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »

I'd prefer a steel one over a cat one. More bashy, also more likely to be recoverable from a dwarf that died in a fire or magma.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:30:29 pm »

I'd prefer a steel one over a cat one. More bashy, also more likely to be recoverable from a dwarf that died in a fire or magma.
Artifacts can't be destroyed by magma/high temperatures if i recall correctly :3

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 06:48:27 pm »

I'll try to post the full description later this evening :)

I wish I knew what dwarves naming regular weapon/armor would do but ah well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 06:50:52 pm »

Artifacts can't be destroyed by magma/high temperatures if i recall correctly :3
Oh, if we're talking artifact shields I'd prefer an aluminium one. Indestructible, never sets on fire and light beyond measure. In general I prefer steel for the rank and file soldier.

The prospect of an infinite burning shield is also a rather worrying one. Perhaps you could equip a ‼cat leather shield‼ do a Dwarf without fat and send them into battle on fire.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:04:23 pm »

Oh, if we're talking artifact shields I'd prefer an aluminium one. Indestructible, never sets on fire and light beyond measure. In general I prefer steel for the rank and file soldier.

The prospect of an infinite burning shield is also a rather worrying one. Perhaps you could equip a ‼cat leather shield‼ do a Dwarf without fat and send them into battle on fire.
I wonder if the terror system is implemented enough to have enemies retreat on sight of dwarves charging at them engulfed in flames...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »

!!dwarfs!! are very !!destructive!! when they decide to !!retreat!!, I've found.

I'm reminded of Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea, a rather hilarious situation, that one.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 11:21:45 pm »

Sphalerite is one of my favorite ores because of the poster.

I usually tend to pick embarks based on getting steel set up, so I've only actually gone through the full process of setting up bismuth bronze and equipping dorfs with it, but what can ya do.

Building an !!Army!! sounds like a hilarious way to up the horrifyingly awful quota of the childcare thread, but the earlier experiments didn't work out well, with the only real success being the quote about wanting your horribly scarred supersoldiers to smell faintly of strawberry wine.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 01:20:31 am »

Udishtbidox, Pleatact, a cat leather shield
(value 18 840)
This is a cat leather shield.  All craftsdwarfhip is of the highest quality.  It is decorated with dog bone and cave spider silk and encircled with bands of cat leather, black bear leather and water buffalo bone.  This objec menaces with spikes of black leather, pig bone, limestone and apricot wood.
On the item is an image of Greedsister the Danger of Chants the pig tail fiber hood in sheep wool.   

:)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 04:31:12 am »

Everyone already answered the question, but I would like to add that masterwork shields give a 2x deflection bonus, and any other quality gives a 1x multiplier.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:19 am »

Hmm I got a prase floodgate, decorated with more prase, as an artifact...
The Void shall consume all