Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question About Butchering My Animals  (Read 474 times)

akinoshura

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question About Butchering My Animals
« on: October 11, 2006, 08:27:00 am »

So I've built a butcher shop, designated a dwarf with the butchery skill, added the task, 'CAPTURE LIVE ANIMAL' and then went to 'z' screen, designated two puppies and a foal to be slaughtered for the meat.

Only, they're not being slaughtered. They're wandering around happy.

What am I missing here?

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Butchering My Animals
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:49:00 am »

Slaughtering livestock is unrelated to the "Capture live land animal" job.  Slaughtering is added automatically (and only automatically) when your butcher's shop has no active jobs and you have animals marked for slaughter.  "Capture live land animal" is a trapper job, and your trapper goes out with a wooden animal trap to capture toads or whatever to be used as pets.  I have no idea why it's assigned at the butchery.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 08:51:00 am »

You probably have blocked the butcher's shop with the "capture live animal" job. This doesn't do anything related to butchering, but tries to capture one of the small animals like rats etc. that run around the area, and requires an animal trap and someone with the trapping skill. If you don't hav anyone with the trapping skill anabled, this job will never be done, but it might prevent the automaticaly created butcher job from reaching "active" status (there can be only one active job per workshop). Just go to the butcher's job with the [q] key and [c]ancel the "capture live animal" job, and the animals should be butchered after some time.

akinoshura

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:56:00 am »

You're right. I cleared the task at the butcher shop and now things are dying left and right. Hooray I may survive after all..... no not really  ;)

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 08:57:00 am »

Some minor nitpicks

quote:
Originally posted by Abyssal Squid:
<STRONG>...  Slaughtering is added automatically (and only automatically) ...

You can actually add a butcher job manually, but it will than look for a fresh dead animal in a refuse pile.

quote:

I have no idea why it's assigned at the butchery.</STRONG>

The same job can be assigned at the kennels. Both make sense, as you can either tame those animals (at the kennels) or extract something from them (at the butcher's).

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 09:01:00 am »

quote:
You can actually add a butcher job manually, but it will than look for a fresh dead animal in a refuse pile.

That's a butchering job, which as you said requires a corpse.  Slaughtering is different from butchering because it targets a living animal, and there is no other controlled way to kill tame animals.  Also, slaughtering is instantaneous, while butchery takes some time.