Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fighting off the Circus  (Read 4772 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Fighting off the Circus
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 12:13:29 pm »

The merchants will go insane and die and they don't have caravan guards. You can catch human caravan guards though, and those don't go insane.

Brunste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 06:15:50 pm »

The merchants will go insane and die and they don't have caravan guards. You can catch human caravan guards though, and those don't go insane.
I was under the impression that elves were insane to begin with.

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 04:33:27 am »

In my experience, it usually end with everything on fire. Generally there usually generate with fireball attacks, made of fire or have unusually high internal temperatures.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 04:48:54 am »

Training your military to be capable of swimming and then partially submerging the area where you enter hell with water is the solution to that.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »

I was under the impression that elves were insane to begin with.
I consider them misguided; genuine insanity renders them incapable of feeding themselves or watering themselves.

Training your military to be capable of swimming and then partially submerging the area where you enter hell with water is the solution to that.
1. Doesn't water have to be 7/7 to put out a burning Dwarf? In which case you open yourself up to the problem that all your Dwarves would have to have legendary swimming to fight at full effectiveness and there would also have to be a layer of open space above to let your Dwarves breathe (therefore also allowing the clowns more flying space).
2. Some of them burn so much they'll instantly evaporate all the water near them.
3. Shields are more important to stop the Dwarves being set on fire in the first place.
4. Make sure the Dwarves' uniforms do not have anything flammable on them, only metal.
5. I suppose having shallow water would be great for protecting against syndromes though. If your Dwarves are covered in water they can't be covered in dust.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »

I haven't had much experience with fighting hot critters on water, so... What happens to dwarves inside vapor clouds? Do the steam disturbs them somehow?
In a time before time, I had a name.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »

Well waterfalls generate mist...and it gives them good thoughts. Maybe they will look at it like a spa or sauna treatment?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 03:53:35 pm »

Well waterfalls generate mist...and it gives them good thoughts. Maybe they will look at it like a spa or sauna treatment?

Ursit McLegendaryWarrior has been ecstatic recently. He took joy in slaughter recently. He lost a friend to tragedy recently. He lost a family member to tragedy recently. He slew a hideous lizard brute demon recently. He was flushed into hell recently. He admired a lovely waterfall recently.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »

I haven't had much experience with fighting hot critters on water, so... What happens to dwarves inside vapor clouds? Do the steam disturbs them somehow?
Steam I don't think affects Dwarves that much; I've not yet seen a Dwarf take scalding damage or anything. Syndrome vapour clouds though cover Dwarves in whatever the enemy beast is flinging at them and is highly dangerous. If the syndrome causes anything like tissue damage or necrosis you're looking at a Dwarf that will almost certainly die from blood loss/infection, a Dwarf that will require surgery on every part of their body (only a hyper advanced hospital can manage such a feat - and usually only one a few Dwarves) and such a Dwarf will certainly be forever blind.
The greatest issue with fighting blisteringly hot clowns in water is not the steam itself, it's that the water will rapidly evaporate into nothingness.

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 06:37:17 pm »

It's all done. My 19 years old fortress utterly destroyed. The clowns were too much for my soldiers. There were ash and filth clowns that proved not so much a challenge, but also fire-spitters that melted even steel spikes and burned half of my army alive. Yet, there was a moment it SEEMED to be done, but then a web- spitting clown comed. He webbed and killed my demigod hero and all the 22 survivors.
So the tale of Bronzeflax, dwarven fortress, came to his gruesome end.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 07:17:08 pm »

Sounds like you had fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 07:47:57 pm »

What you really needed to have done was set up a bridge over hell.  Let in only so many demons before flipping the lever.  It helps to create a couple of airlocks after this to better control exactly how many make it to your axe-line.  This lets you overwhelm only a few demons at a time.  Furthermore, set it up so that the demon is entering a room from below/rounding a corner/dropping a bridge directly in melee range of your axelords.  The point is that you fight the ranged-attackers 1v10 already engaged in melee, as opposed to letting them turn your dorfs into mince-meat ahead of time. 

To top all this off, seal in the fighting area so that even if all your warriors die your fort still lives to try again.  At this point you can try cave ins or atom smashers to kill the steel syndrome slinging scorpions (or w/e killed most of your dorfs).

Try to catch a web slinger early tough... catch him like you would a normal Forgotten beast (behind a bridge in a sealed off room).  I believe the silk from a demon is supposed to be fire-proof.  I don't think its actually valueable, but a fun novelty at least. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:39:34 pm by Niddhoger »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55:08 pm »

I must say I'd have been surprised if you won. I'm surprised you kept your Fort going for 19 years with only 52 Dwarves, low pop cap or something?

Facing the clown car with military force is incredibly risky, you need to be able to win through attrition and you'd need a hell of a lot of legendary soldiers to defeat the unlimited hordes of happy fun time.

RIP Bronzeflax, you died with a sudden inferno.

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:30 pm »

Yeah, I set the cap to 50 after reaching 52 dwarves to prevent lagging. It was quite fun, through.

I already started a new map. There are vampires and an already-discovered Vault ready to pluder.
I wonder...
what if I prepare an army of vampire soldiers ALL equipped with Divine Metal masterworks?

This time I'll unleash Heaven upon Hell...

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 08:28:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure that divine metal is only better than adamantine if used for edged weapons: as far as I know, armor made of it is slightly worse than adamantine armor.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 [2]