Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running Dwarf Fortress in Parallels or Crossover for OS  (Read 1595 times)

akinoshura

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Running Dwarf Fortress in Parallels or Crossover for OS
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:04:00 am »

I have a Macbook Pro that I've been booting into Windows to play Dwarf Fortress on (I was in there anyways to do some other stuff), but now I'm looking to play Dwarf Fortress while in OS X. I installed Crossover Mac ( http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxmac/  ) and I'm trying to run DF on it - it's a little weird, I think. I get to the part where it asks if I want to run Full Screen Mode, then I hit no, then it errors to a FATAL ERROR - Main Index File Missing/Corrupted.

Has anyone else had any luck running DF under either of these programs?

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running Dwarf Fortress in Parallels or Crossover for OS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

My understanding is that Crossover is fairly similar to Wine, right? There has been a thread about getting DF to work under Linux using Wine; I would expect that a similar method to what worked there will work for you, although I unfortunately can't help with any specifics of it, as I don't have a Mac to try things out on.

squirrel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »

I had this problem using Windows Vista on both a mac and PC. Check that all the files and folders aren't set to "Read Only". Changing that flag seemed to fix it for me.

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:01:00 am »

I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm having this problem now: "Main Index File Missing/Corrupted" when attempting to run DF on Crossover. Permissions for the file where already set to read & write, as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by absolutego:
<STRONG>I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm having this problem now: "Main Index File Missing/Corrupted" when attempting to run DF on Crossover. Permissions for the file where already set to read & write, as far as I can tell. Any ideas?</STRONG>

One idea: perhaps when you extracted the game from the zipfile, you didn't extract it with full paths.  Check this by looking in the game directory, there should be two subdirectories named data and raw.  If they're not there, delete everything in the directory, and re-extract with full paths.

0x517A5D

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Nah, thanks, but that's not it. Actually I copied over the whole DF folder from the Windows partition (I'm on an intel machine), saved games and all. I tried with a fresh install (well, unzip) too, same thing. The file is there, and as far as I can tell the permissions are correct.

I just installed Crossover though, so who knows. For color: I use VMware for most windows stuff, but DF runs molasses slow. It was better (slow, but playable) on Parallels, but that I just couldn't stomach.

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

alllllright. it works if you launch it from the "command line": programs > run command > select executable. rest as default.

monolar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

hmm.. i installed (and bought) crossover just for DF as it runs perfectly ( in a win2000 bottle ) on my Macbook Pro (10.5)... I can just double click on it and even put it in the dock