Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dyed items stockpiles/ happy dwarves?  (Read 536 times)

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dyed items stockpiles/ happy dwarves?
« on: December 21, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »

is there a way to seperate cloth or thread that has been dyed and those that haven't?

and what is a sure way to get dwarves happier faster?
- i have all dwarves with great bedrooms
- legendary meeting hall/dinning room
- and all wearing  exceptional/masterful dyed clothing

yet they all hover around fine for the past few years
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:55:34 pm by justicarab »
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dyed items stockpiles/ happy dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:05:13 pm »

The method recommended in the forum for the production process is to have the clothier(s) linked to a stockpile that is linked to the dyer(s) that link their output to yet another stockpile. If the stockpiles are set to "take from links only" you shouldn't get the piles "contaminated" by worn clothes, but as far as I know there is no way to block the dorfs from "stealing" clothing from the intermediate piles, as there is no such setting as "deliver to links only", so dorfs might very well ignore your base quality dyed sock in favor of the newly produced undyed masterworks one.

Given the mess caused by the clothing process as it is, I've never bothered with dyeing myself.

For happiness I think you've come a long way. Tweaking would be to customize their bedrooms with materials/colors/items they like, giving them jobs suitable for them (outdoor jobs for those who dislike the outdoors the least, and who aren't frightened by the green stuff, for instance). I guess not breaking up parties is a good thing as well. Get rid of sentient bodies as quickly as possible, and let the bodies be seen by as few dorfs as possible (if you can micro manage it such that the body disposal is done by dorfs who aren't overly sensitive it would help).
Waterfalls are supposed to be nice (and also quite good at shooting down the FPS). Ah, yes, despite their reputation, dorfs actually like baths with soap (I've embarked in an evil area where it rains goblin blood quite frequently, and they clean themselves as a result).
Trying to ensure married couples work near each other is probably good as well, as it should reduce longing.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:13:20 pm »

Waterfall in the dining hall can go fantastically wrong, but I recommend it for a happiness boost. I like to scatter good quality statues arond the fort, to get passers-by happier, especially with the occasional material bonus.

Masterwork lavish meals and varieties of drinks and food are also happiness producers. If you're bored enough, you can optimise for dwarves to achieve life goals.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 04:45:26 pm »

i think i'll work on that, but is happiness extremely important? or something to optimise?
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »

Depends, really. In a very safe fort with no chance of someone well-known dying, it's not that needed, but in most cases it's the only buffer holding off tantrum spirals, so the higher the better.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.