Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to stop marksdwarves from jumping off walls to attack enemies?  (Read 2541 times)

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a tower on one of my walls and had stationed some marksdwarves there during a siege. Well instead of shooting through the fortifications they instead got the bright idea to climb to the very top of the tower, over the walls and jump off the side to go shoot at them from the ground.

Needless to say they got slaughtered. Short of walling off the ceiling to prevent them from climbing on top, is there a way to stop them from advancing towards enemies when they are armed with crossbows?
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

Try keeping some ammo inside the tower so that they don't feel tempted to bash other's skulls in when they run out of bolts. Creating a ceiling is more certain, but you can also create only a small overhang so that they can't path over the fortifications.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the thing though. They had ammo yet they still pathed outside the tower and climbed down to shoot at them. It's like they were trying to get at point blank range to shoot them.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

I usually make my towers so that there's no path to the enemy, but other than that there aren't many options... Did they fire at enemy after they came down? If not you may have problems with them equipping bolts, since they don't recognize bolts inside bins.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile

You can use fortifications.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did use fortifications, they just climbed out. When they got on the ground they just fired at the enemy there. It's not like they were dodging arrows off of anything either. The marksdwarves were shooting at some hammergoblins.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you able to confirm that they're climbing over the fortifications not jumping through them?

there was talk somewhere that dwarfs were jumping through them, but over seems more likely.
I'm having the same problem. making an overhang is a good idea, I'll have to try that after this current seige.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Remove training bolts from their outfits.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

What's their marksdwarf skill? Just a guess, but maybe they don't want to shoot from the top of the tower because they don't think they can hit from there and wanted to get closer for a better shot?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

Dwarves don't care about chance of hitting yet, so he probably has a tower that let they see the enemy before they approach enough to shoot.
Try using station oders instead of kill orders, so that they will stand ground. You may also make it so that your tower don't has path to the enemy.