Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annoying animals  (Read 794 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Annoying animals
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:55:00 am »

My workers are always being interrupted by those racoons... How can I direct them to kill/make go away those bastards?

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: Annoying animals
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:15:00 am »

You could try putting cage traps around where the offending site it.  That's the most humane (dwarfane?) way anyhow.  I'm sure other have better/more violent ideas though.

EDIT: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the cage trap idea might not work if the raccoons were originally on the map.  Is that still true?  That creatures that were originally there aren't affected by traps?

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Run Comrades ]

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:34:00 am »

recruit a few into the army and send em over, miners/woodcuttrs work best as they have weapons.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

Err I must figure out how to specify targets for my military... Any advices?

I dealt with that racoon by telling my woddcutter to cut some wood from the poor animal (hunt) >_<.

I'm just learning so my questions are nooby, but I already started to love this game and made my first nice underground keep (previous were crappy).

By the way, what is the "Seas fert(Y/N)" option for the farm plot?

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

It's the option to fertilize your land seasonally.  It's a big old waste of time, if you ask me (or probably anyone).  Just ignore it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

It looks like this post turned to my personal noob questions thread...
Anyway if someone is willing to answer, I'm most grateful.
Thank you for you answers, you really help me to get into it.

If someone can answer: what if I used 1 table in the room to make the room a dining room, and there're other new empty tables... Should I make EVERY to show it's a public dining room? Will it decrease the "every" room quality (in 1, as let's say with dining+office in 1).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

I'm fairly certain that it will suffice to just use ONE table to make the dining room, as long as you include the others in the area.  And as long as you don't designate each table to a certain dwarf, they should all be used communally.

In my dining hall, only one table was used to designate the hall (with the others just sitting there) and my dwarves use all the tables for eating.

EDIT: and as a general rule, you don't want to overlap room designations

Don't worry about your questions, feel free to ask away.  You are in the right forum for it.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Run Comrades ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

Hmm I removed all info about room from other tables... And now they're show in the building list in red with (S) mark. What is it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Well that red S seems to mean that they have no owner. But I can't be completely sure.

Are you sure that you completely un-roomed each table?  when you 'q' then move the cursor over the table and hit 'f' that will free the table and unmake the dining room.

I have only one table set as the dining room, and I have the area covering all of my tables.  None of my tables have the red S thing in the building list, but some of the beds that I have built do, and it just says that they have no owner.  I don't think this is a big issue though, they should still work and everything.  But keep an eye on dwarves that are eating to make sure that everything is functional.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

The (S) means it is or at some point was shared. AFAIK there isn't any way to remove that once it is there. Maybe if you undesignate EVERY table and then designate the dining room from one table that hasn't been made into a room yet it can remove that shared status. But yes, you do not want to share that room as one designation makes every table in that room a dining table, no need to halve or quarter the rooms value by sharing the room. To restate that: Only one table need be designated for an entire dining room to work. At the very worst, at least you know for next time.  ;)

Also, you will want one chair per table. If you surround a single table with chairs, one dwarf will get the table to eat on and the others will complain about the lack of tables as they eat food off their laps.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

Thank you, now i'm pro at building dining rooms =).
BTW my dining room is dead now, full of drown bodies... If you want to know what happened, check my question thread about the water wheel >_<.

And I experimentally noticed the same about sharing: when I have 1 throne assigned as the dining-room trigger, I have (had) a legendary dining room, but after I turn another into room-pointer, it becomes something like "fine", I don't actually remember.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Regarding the raccoons and your military...

The default orders for new squads are to chase enemies but not to engage animals.

Press 'm' to go to the military screen, highlight an active dwarf and press 'v' to view the squad.

Notice that 'a' toggles between "squad ignores wild animals" and "squad harasses dangerous wild animals". If an animal is bothering your workers, it should count as dangerous.

I had the same problem with a grizzly bear...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

I had a problem with the grizzly bear too...
When I was wrestling him with ease in adv. mode he someway became consious and fell with me from the high mountain (i thought it was a cliff before we flied about 7 levels to the bottom).
Nice red tiles...

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

I solved my dangerous native fauna problem by hunting them all to extinction.
My hunter is Captain of the Guard now, and I use domesticated animals for animal products.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas