Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colosseum safety  (Read 813 times)

Colosseum safety
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:21 pm »

Greetings fellow overlords! I my search for new ways to abuse my citizens, i built a Colosseum to rapidly turn undesirables such as legendary soap makers into axe wielding badasses. However, i don't want wild beasts and guerrilla fighters loose in my fortress, so i guarded the doors with ballistas (on that note, can siege ammo traverse buildings?) and placed the whole thing on the prison level so the first people they find are expendable criminals and trained guards. Oh and i have four layers of doors in between the arena and the stair shaft. Is this enough?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:22:10 pm by AlexanderTheIncompetant »
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum safety
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:42:31 am »

Locked doors will stop them unless they have the [BUILDING DESTROYER] tag.
Raised drawbridges will stop anything as they're treated as walls when raised, and walls are currently indestructible regardless of material.
You can hold back a dragon with a soap drawbridge if you want.

If they do somehow get loose either sick the militia on them or set up the prison level to flood with water or magma at the pull of a lever.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:42:46 am »

Apart from building destroyers, certain critters can also get through locked doors (kobolds, for instance). Drawbridges is my standard solution to any access denial needs.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:28 am »

Thanks!
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.