Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: [RPG] -Grim Hearts- A Dex Souls-like. (Currently experiencing downtime.)  (Read 30272 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] -Grim Hearts- A Dex Souls-like. (Currently experiencing downtime.)
« Reply #315 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:35 am »

Eehhh. I have already had projects like that... I get that you want to help but none of this seems like it would work on me properly... Sorry to dissapoint.

Sorry I can't really contribute much more than platitudes, either. I got myself thought-derailed there and defaulted into the standard depression advice cycle, to rephrase it as technobabble.

Specifics of work, indeed, would be better. This forum game with video game assets, for instance. Care to elaborate?

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't you hear the beating?
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #316 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:29 am »

well basically its really just an ISG but the mechanics and such a presented in a way that would be rather easy to replicate in a video game situation. The entire product would be suited for translation into a videogame. Thats the full thought with it.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

If you enjoy my work, please view my website and also consider clicking the Patreon button! You might even be interested enough to pay me a little so I can keep living!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 01, 2015, 08:02:14 am »

well basically its really just an ISG but the mechanics and such a presented in a way that would be rather easy to replicate in a video game situation. The entire product would be suited for translation into a videogame. Thats the full thought with it.

That's the idea, sure. But there's questions to be resolved with it.

First off, what do you mean by being suited for translation into a video game? Video games have a strictly defined set of possible inputs and outputs, while forum games, like pen-and-paper games, have as a core part of their format the ability to improvise in unpredictable and highly varied ways. Do you mean to limit the options for player responses? I could see that working for a visual novel-like, but maybe not so much for an RPG-like (though you could do it similarly to Sunless Sea, which has rather plainly transparent mechanics that could potentially work in a forum RPG). This seems like the most significant thing to think about, since you'd basically need to be able to map out your game with a flowchart if it's going to have possibilities for branching story. Of course, this mapping can be done after the fact, so maybe it's not that much of a problem after all. In fact, you could use the ISG to map out the story in an organic fashion (since the replies would inevitably follow some form of sense), and then, when it's done, make alternate paths based on unused suggestions.

Secondly, what kind of video game? This is probably the most critical question. Visual novels, as mentioned, would be easiest. But perhaps you have another idea?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:04:23 am by Harry Baldman »

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't you hear the beating?
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #318 on: March 01, 2015, 08:06:35 am »

the game would be a sidescrolling metroidvania with turn based combat thats heavily based in stamina. The main method of growth beyond levelling is armor and weaponry made out of enemies and materials, so crafting is important. The forum game will have player input but it is controlled within the mechanics of whats going on. Outrageous things wont really work. Basically im limiting only what I know cant really function at all.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

If you enjoy my work, please view my website and also consider clicking the Patreon button! You might even be interested enough to pay me a little so I can keep living!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 01, 2015, 01:47:00 pm »

I could certainly see that working both as a video game and forum game. While I'm almost certainly not the best suited person to the task (I'm proficient with Python, but that's about it; my skills with the C languages are frankly painfully bad), I could try and bodge together a prototype at some point so you can see how it plays.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]