Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What skill should I use For my gym  (Read 1003 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
What skill should I use For my gym
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:34:14 am »

I'm trying to make a "Gym" workshop and I think i have the jist of how to go about that but i need to know what labor this should train. I realize that each could train, as of now I am thinking concentration because lifting weights requires concentration. I see unused skills, is there any way to implement these?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: What skill should I use For my gym
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:47:09 am »

But, the skill that improves is the one that's used ... you don't want your gym to train concentration, do you?

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:06 am »

But, the skill that improves is the one that's used ... you don't want your gym to train concentration, do you?
well thats just the thing, the purpose is to train attributes, I've got that part worked out (syndrome bearing vapor/gas) but I dont know what skill I want to train, discipline might be really good actually on second thought

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:56:37 am »

Your gym won't work, since attribute-improving syndromes don't stack (any further effects will be ignored after one is applied).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:22 am »

To amend this, you can make a lot of syndromes with the same effect and interaction which apply them and have the gym give all the interactions at once, and have those expire after a short while.
._.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:14:07 am »

I'm using misc-object-user, it raises attributes through skill gain, not syndromes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:12 am »

I'm with Meph on this one, increasing attributes through skill gain rather than syndromes.  Far less chance for bugginess.  The more objects produced by the reaction, the more skill gain per reaction run.  producing globs of sweat, or boiling globs of sweat, seems appropriate to me.

Throwing and Misc. Object User are good choices for training combat related attributes, at the expense of the well trained dwarves being super deadly if when they tantrum.

Other choices that won't really change gameplay that much (e.g. won't cheat up very useful skills)

• Pump Operator - Strength, Toughness, Endurance, Willpower, Kinesthetic Sense  (I think of this one as straight up weight lifting, resistance training)
  • Crutch Walker - Agility, Endurance, Willpower, Spatial Sense, Kinesthetic Sense (I think of this one as aerobics, gymnastics type exercise)
  • Milker - Strength, Agility, Endurance, Kinesthetic Sense  (I like to think of this as Calisthenics-type workouts, body weight resistance, or martial arts exercises)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »

I thought that only military skills trained attributes, and i probably will train misc objects user, I was considering it so i guess that I'm really going to have to keep my dwarves happy.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 02:27:54 pm »

IIRC, non-combat skills increase attributes.  The old fashioned gym from the long days of yor was to put your idle dwarves to work pumping screw pumps that did nothing, to keep them busy and train up relevant combat attributes in strength, endurance, and toughness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:20:29 pm »

I thought that only military skills trained attributes, and i probably will train misc objects user, I was considering it so i guess that I'm really going to have to keep my dwarves happy.

Misc. Object User is a military skill--it determines attacking with gore, chairs etc.

Also, swimming, mining etc. also train attributes.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »

yeah misc object user is probably the best choice, I am aware that it is military though I failed to make it clear, my bad.
If anyone already has a mod out for this could they link it? I'm thinking I'd rather just use someone elses for my game rather than make one from scratch