Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dating mechanics and population generation in worldgen  (Read 594 times)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dating mechanics and population generation in worldgen
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:16:40 pm »

So I'm slowly working on my Swamp civ and I've been thinking of how to make them roughly as populous as elves or goblins without having a long timespan.
The obvious solution is to give them more babies per go, but without any other tools to change reproductive ability I'd have to have a very specific maximum age which is a lot lower than I would want.
I could add non-reproducing castes but I'd rather not so I've been thinking of the caste attraction and how that works but I have no real data on how that works in worldgen, so I'm intending to test it (if someone else has data that would be even better) but for that I need some tool to read the population of a civilization if anyone knows of one I can use I would be immensely thankful.

My hypothesis is that during worldgen attraction will follow one of these patterns.
A) A historical figure cannot be attracted to anyone not attracted to them, which would lead to a value of very slightly less than the amount of historical figures attracted to a suitable opposite will be able to breed as soon as they get a chance.
B) Any historical charchter will become attracted to a person and then get stuck at being attracted to that person, getting a value more like the percentages of the opposing parts multiplied towards each other so if the women and the men have 70% chance of being attracted to the other it is roughly 49% chance of them finding a partner.
C) The historical character will eventually get over being attracted to someone not attracted to them and as time goes the value of a 70% rises from 49% to near 70%
D) The value is ignored during worldgen (if this is the case I'll likely have to find a way to make non-gendered castes more interesting to me).

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.