Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeing amounts of materials in the manager screen  (Read 643 times)

Firearrow15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeing amounts of materials in the manager screen
« on: December 06, 2014, 01:50:34 pm »

Essentially, it would be nice to be able to tell how much o something you have left when designating a job. This isn't as much of a problem for things that you have a lot of, like wood or stone, but it is a problem for other jobs like gem cutting. When I have four red zircons left, it would be nice to know that as I am making the order to cut red zircons.

Another solution would be to make a generic command for "cut gems", but the first solution woul have other uses besides just gem-cutting.

If this was implemented with a way to pick materials for workshop jobs, (like I have heard is on it's way), this would be a lot less frustrating to play.

Actually, thinking about it, giving the option to pick materials from the manager independently of task would solve a lot of these problems. You still need to be able to let dwarves pick their own for unimportant tasks like barrels. If this was implemented, we could get rid of the hundreds of jobs in the manager like "cut microcline", "encrust four different things with microcline", and many other material-specific tasks.

This has probably been suggested before,

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing amounts of materials in the manager screen
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 04:01:38 am »

Obviously this would tie in strongly with the Bookkeeper.  Perhaps their offices would need to be connected for this to happen? Furthermore, we'd need to be able to designate stones for "general purpose" or "specific/manager order only"  I know we can turn off stone use in the stocks menu or outright forbid materials.  However... we'd have to be going constantly in/out of menus as well canceling any existing orders.  You save a chunk of obsidian to build some noble's furniture out of and just recently un-forbid it/forbid other stones, but your legendary cheesmonger... er new mason snags it up to make some blocks.