Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Point and Click 101: Syberia (First Short Update!)  (Read 1112 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Point and Click 101: Syberia (First Short Update!)
« on: December 14, 2014, 01:08:47 pm »

Hello I am Neonivek and welcome to my first letsplay ever so be prepared for lots of mistakes. So as you may or may not know point and clicks are one of my favorite genres with their combination of characterization, storytelling, and problem solving that makes me a permanent fan. I wanted to make a Letsplay that both sort of explains the idea behind point and clicks as well as tips for how to go about solutions, as many of the "moon logic" puzzles in point and clicks are telegraphed long in advance.

To me the perfect formula for a point and click is one that balances story, focusing on the plot and/or characters, and the puzzles without making anything seem too arbitrary. The goal is for the puzzles to highlight not only the world but the main character as well. While a point and click can certainly feature no story elements, those are more puzzle game then adventure, at least to me.

So enough about that, what about the game?

Syberia a game by Microids is about a Lawyer by the name of Kate Walker who goes to a mysterious town of Valedilene populated by what appears to be mechanical men and contraptions of a clockwork nature. That is as much of a spoiler as I will give you here and I ask people not to spoil the game for anyone else watching.

The game is a 3d Point and click with fixed camera angles, sort of a blend between true 3d (Such as Broken Sword 3) and 2d (classic point and clicks). It always has the issue of you getting lost, but careful exploration of your environment should negate this. Environments are small and compact in this game so in spite looking large, the game ends up being quite small.

If Syberia has a major strength it is world building and our main character herself with the weakness of getting easily lost, as 3d point and clicks have a tendency to do. I have played this to what is likely halfway through the game, so about halfway through I will be completely blind.

---

Parts

Part 1 (I'll link as soon as I find out how).

---

Expect the first few updates to happen rather quickly one after the other. I am just getting a hang of things, but feel free to post in the mean time)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:49:52 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Point and Click 101: Syberia
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »

Ok Lets Dive in the World of:

Why Thank you game!

For completion sake this is the Options screen. Nothing too unusual here sans the Manikin on the left. Though it isn't shown in the screen shot he is animated. The game showing its clockwork aesthetic really early on. I would hesitate to call this game Clockwork punk for reasons you will find out soon.

But enough horsing around, let us dive into the beauty the majesty the

The wet dark and raining run down town of... Well Valindene.

It isn't shown in the picture but all these robots move in a very, well, mechanical fashion.

Hmm This all seems like a funeral procession going into a rather large and gated building. I wonder what this means.

Though this won't be too important, as the game will pretty much give this away, remembering details like this can often help down the road.

And that is the intro of the game. Now to take a picture of our main character for the game!

Uhhh... no, can you look a bit towards the camera please?

No, with your eyes open...

I give up!

We are greeted by another robot as we enter into the hotel.

What will await us INSIDE the Hotel? Tune in to find out!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:47:59 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Point and Click 101: Syberia (First Short Update!)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:56:48 pm »

Oh god the 3D.