Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 64 bit processing?  (Read 789 times)

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
64 bit processing?
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

I was wondering if DF utilizes 64 bit processing... I did a search of "64 bit" over all vaguely relevant forums and didn't seem to find anything the question.

As for a bit of the background as to the reason for this question, my fairly modern computer's videocard decided to off itself in a tragic manner about a month back and I was forced to build myself a computer out of spare parts lying around in the basement so that I could continue to fuel my DF addiction (having access to the remnants of a startup computer company has it's perks). The constructed computer has a 1.3ghz processor, and I'd noticed that a laptop not currently being used in my house has a 1.5ghz processor, so I'd figured I could steal that laptop for some dedicated DF action. However, I've noticed that it's got a 64 bit processor installed and a 32 bit version of Windows XP running, and I happen to have a 64 bit version of XP lying around unused. I'd install the 64 bit version of XP if it would help make DF run faster, but otherwise I'm hesitant because installing drivers from a blank slate on a laptop is tedious, especially when you're not sure if it officially has drivers for a 64 bit version (since it shipped with Windows XP 32bit). So I'm wondering that if I install the 64 bit version of Windows, would I notice a performance increase in playing DF vs. playing it in 32 bit Windows?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: 64 bit processing?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

No, the Dwarf Fortress program is 32-bit.  I don't think you'd get any speedup and you might get some slowdown due to the 32-to-64 thunks.

Now, if Toady compiled a 64-bit version, you would most likely see a speedup.  Not because of 64-bit pointers and variables, but because x86-64 has twice as many general registers.  (16 minus 1 instead of 8 minus 1.)  This allows compilers to generate tighter code.  There's also a __fastcall convention that is actually useful.

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 64 bit processing?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

This reminds me of why I applied to college as a Computer Science major. Thanks for the timely response.