Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Official new stuff list for Fortess mode only  (Read 3392 times)

connard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Official new stuff list for Fortess mode only
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:06:56 am »

Hey guys, I just returned from my cave and figured out that DF was finally released to 0.40. However I didn't find a comprehensive list of stuff added in this new version compared to 0.39. I mean about Fortress mode only, I don't like adventure mode.
Is there a list or could someone list the new features he discovered ?

Thanks a lot !!!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Official new stuff list for Fortess mode only
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

Hey guys, I just returned from my cave and figured out that DF was finally released to 0.40. However I didn't find a comprehensive list of stuff added in this new version compared to 0.39. I mean about Fortress mode only, I don't like adventure mode.
Is there a list or could someone list the new features he discovered ?

Thanks a lot !!!

as far as i know:

-dwarves now express their emotions regarding events that happen in their daylifes
-dwarven emotions have repercussions in their lvl of happiness and if not cared can lead to tantrum spirals or insanity cases
-dwarves now suffer and express their condition of stress, stress can severely affect dorfs if not taken care of, it was a pain in the ass in 40.16 but it should have been fixed with this version (40.18)

-Toady is gonna add the possibility to castrate male animals for population control.
-forts can be retired
-the whole world changes as time passes
-merchants can bring news about stuff that happens in the world
-multilvl trees were added (both over and underground)
-trees grow from saplings which are generated randomly and cannot be planted (but can be gathered)
-some trees produce fruit which can be harvested with a stepladder (one comes with every embark) and after defining a zone for it
-there are new plants which produce vegetables and fruits
-all the food that can be harvested from plants can be grown in crops, the list is quite long

connard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:53:22 pm »

thanks for the info!

Too bad there's no new traps or items or new gameplay mecanisms, or going to war or more trade and diplomacy with differents civs, etc

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »

thanks for the info!

Too bad there's no new traps or items or new gameplay mecanisms, or going to war or more trade and diplomacy with differents civs, etc
Erm...

No new gameplay mechanics...

You mean, other than the world itself being activated and worldgen continuing into gameplay?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:05:06 pm »

There's a few more things not in that list:

• New emotions (new # of emotions is ~100)
  • New stress or tantrum states like haggard
  • Stress is now distributed more realistically, a short series of setbacks won't drive a dwarf to insanity
  • Weapons can now pulp or smash apart body parts given enough successive damage (specifically blunt weapons)
  • Undead are no longer on a hit point system. They must be pulped to be destroyed
  • Necromancer Towers now a part of the world and will cause undead sieges
  • Sieges now based on moving armies moreso than set schedules based on population limits
  • Discipline Skill to partially govern how dwarves react to violence
  • Movement and Attack speed are separate now
  • Climbing & jumping
  • Dual Wielding (dunno if available in fortress mode
  • Inheritance, possibility for a dwarf to inherit baron or royalty positions
  • Dwarves have personal values which can influence how they react to events or perform work.
  • Dwarves have dreams they can accomplish for a positive emotion
  • Improved Trade and Food stock menus
  • Improved Hauling Labor options
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:10:33 pm by Slogo »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:05 pm »

Two things I think the others missed was that civilizations are now limited to twenty map tiles in their reach. Meaning goblins won't go all the way across a large map to siege you, and humans and elves won't do the same for trading. In adventurer mode at least you can apply modifiers to your attacks which have different effects, though I'm not sure if that has any effect on fortress mode aside from enraged characters using wild attacks from what I heard, which while faster and stronger have a longer recovery time so it's not all upsides to being enraged. Also I think the others really didn't show how important that world activation thing is. In the past once you started playing nothing would happen unless it was directly involving you. Now things go on as normal. Another thing is that the random site populations that are used for attacking you or sending caravans (or filling towns in adventurer mode) when they're killed they actually affect the population of the site meaning that if you have a fortress go for long enough, and goblins attack you frequently enough, you could wipe out a goblin civilization.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:47:25 am »

• Sieges now based on moving armies moreso than set schedules based on population limits
  • Discipline Skill to partially govern how dwarves react to violence
  • Inheritance, possibility for a dwarf to inherit baron or royalty positions
These 3 can have a huge impact on your fort, depending on your luck. Getting a goblin raid in 1st Summer, fresh recruits unable to stand the fear of hostile enemies (or random gore) and having to cater for a monarch before you ever see a migrant.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 06:37:20 am »

Weird... I have never seen a stepladder and I have started many new forts when playing latest versions...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:39 pm »

There are also balances for some of the systems, such as

healthcare: actually heal your dwarves efficiently...
justice: slow tantrum spirals by arresting the dwarves that keep tearing up workshops and throwing children...
Not sure if this is new, but vermin can escape wooden animal traps and cages now
fishing: the fish population is higher and recovers after awhile if you don't overfish too much...

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:53 am »

Weird... I have never seen a stepladder and I have started many new forts when playing latest versions...
I think you have to regenerate the world to get stepladders even though plant gathering zones will be available without.

connard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 05:47:56 pm »

Yes new world system is amazing, but I'm sad a lot of improvments are for adventure mode and not for fortress mode. :)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:15 pm »

Yes new world system is amazing, but I'm sad a lot of improvments are for adventure mode and not for fortress mode. :)

Most of the improvements were to the world itself. Some of these things are more visible in adventure mode, but they'll pay dividends down the road for fortress mode, too. For example, when we get the ability to send armies out into the world, they'll need somewhere to go.

connard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 04:22:53 pm »

ups yeah you are right !!!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 05:51:10 pm »

Are the first two migrant waves no longer hardcoded? I set my pop cap to 7 and never saw a single migrant.