Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dragon: The Game - OP now includes the Dev's plan.  (Read 8217 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon: The Game - You play as a dragon. Need I say more?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »

So are you investing in my idea or not?  :-\

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 07:13:12 pm »

Gentlemen and/or ladies, enhance your calms.

I generally have to agree with LB though. Although I generally thought what I saw looked nice, it'll be a while yet before I'd go near the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 07:26:20 pm »

I gave my $18 away and don't care what comes of it.

$14.39.  It's 20% off until the 14th.

Also, can you keep us up to date with how the patches are going?  First one is apparently on the 14th, and Changelog text isn't as good as a player opinion.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:28:12 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »

unity is not bloated and unwieldy.

Bwahahahahaha!

Oh, thank you..I needed that laugh. :)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2014, 11:12:29 pm »

If you want Unity to function fast and efficiently, Cache results from GameObject.FindXXX()/GetComponent(), pool things instead of Destroy() and use them instead of Instantiate(), stop moving static colliders around (including colliders attached to animated bones) (Very large performance impact, and not even mentioned in the Unity manual ::)), actually learn how the Forward Rendering works so you can use pixel lighting efficiently (very important), and static batch all the things (even if you have to do it by hand). Batch like its the end of the world!

I've been pleasently suprised by what I have been managed to squeeze out of my phone with it, including 60fps complex scenes with realtime pixel lighting + complex shaders, and some complex skinned models in the tens of thousands of triangles.

From what I have seen of the game, if they are getting poor performance, its because they are doing something wrong.

-----

On flight physics: Yes please. I would like to see some complex flight physics, one where you can't stay still (or at least not for long/easily), can't fly backwards, have to build up speed etc.

Subsystem damage would also be cool, to avoid the "Get stabbed in the toe and die" thing that happenes too often for large things. Maybe damaged wings are aerodynamically less effective, and stuff like that. It might also help differentiate the game mechanics from a standard RPG (I hope this doesn't do what The I Of the Dragon did and just do a standard ARPG with a dragon player model).

Also the animations are real bad. I don't get why so many smaller 3D Indie games struggle with the animations. If your going to be controlling a large creature like a dragon, the animations are extremely important to convey a sense of size and scale of your character. For example, they need to "throw their weight" around more while moving. I also think they need to debulk the models somewhat (especially the non-wing limbs), make them both more slender and muscular (instad of just "thick"). It gets increasing hard to fly as things get larger, so much of their mass should visually appear to be devoted to flying. Maybe also increase the wings surface area. (the dev art has much better looking dragons then what is in the game IMO).

I'm going to hold off on paying money for this though. It's too early to judge one way or the other whether the developers are actually competent enough to pull this off decently. I am sure going to follow it though.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:27:34 pm by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 11:14:20 am »

Update was planned for today.  Anyone who bought the game know if it's out, and, if it is, how good it is?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »

Update was planned for today.  Anyone who bought the game know if it's out, and, if it is, how good it is?

I think it's not actually an update. There's no mention of it on the developer's website, and the product updates page is blank. I think it's just that today is the last day for the 20% off sale on steam you mentioned in your previous post.

EDIT:
Oh, wait. You're right. Here it is

"Early Access Rollout - Week 2 and 3
November 14th to November 28th
Advanced multi-player functionality
Maps will be linked together in a continuous world
Region improvements, new terrain sets
Additional monster and prey to hunt
Claim lairs
Game controller support
Misc bug fixes

*Please note these are our intended dates, actual progress may very. "

So, today is the first day of a two week rollout period that specifies it's only an intended range. I wouldn't count on an actual update today.

I also note that according to that same page, they lost several developers shortly before release and they only received $45 of their $100 target last month. So...yeah.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »

"Early Access Rollout - Week 2 and 3
November 14th to November 28th
Advanced multi-player functionality
Maps will be linked together in a continuous world
Region improvements, new terrain sets
Additional monster and prey to hunt
Claim lairs
Game controller support
Misc bug fixes

*Please note these are our intended dates, actual progress may very. "

So, today is the first day of a two week rollout period that specifies it's only an intended range. I wouldn't count on an actual update today.
That bolded part. That bolded part. That bolded part.

How in the name of C++ are they going to do that?
._.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »

How in the name of C++ are they going to do that?

...predictively load zone assets into memory based on where you anticipate the player will go, combined with intelligent area design to minimize the quantity of assets that require change between adjacent borders?

Or is unity incapable of selectively loading/unloading individual assets for some reason?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »

Ohhhhhhh. I've got what they've said.

I thought they were talking about something like integrating custom-made maps into the continuous world.

Yeah, that's much more feasible.
._.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2014, 11:29:35 pm »

My game had a 118 MB update today...sooo not sure about those that didnt get an update

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 06:47:41 pm »

Looks like there's been a couple updates.  How well did they balance the Skeleton, Ghouls, Ogres, and Tree Ents?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon: The Game - OP now includes the Dev's plan.
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2014, 12:08:16 am »

Updated OP to include the feature plan they have on the steam page.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]