Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to brew plump helmets?  (Read 1879 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Unable to brew plump helmets?
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:08:12 am »

I've got about two million, six hundred and forty-one empty barrel/pots and 120+ plump helmets sitting around and I am still unable to brew them. What's going on?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to brew plump helmets?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 04:08:51 am »

It depend on where in the chain the problem is:
- I assume you have a still?
- Have you assigned the "brew from plant" task in the still?
- Do you have any dwarf with the Brewer labor skill?
- Is said dwarf idle? It seems any hauling task has a higher priority than "proper" labor, so it might take a very long time for the dwarf to get to it if assigned all hauling labors.
- Are you linking the still to stockpiles? If so, you have to have both the barrel stockpile and the plump helmet stockpile linked to the still.
- Are you getting any error messages related to this job, such as no plant matter, etc.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 04:11:00 am »

do you have an active alert or burrow? have you tried assigning the task through the manager?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:05 am »

I have a dedicated brewer who is idle, and the 'brew from plant' option is red. I'll try the manager and come back.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:20:27 am »

I suspect accidental linking gone wrong. Check links between stockpiles and stills. Does still accept from anywhere?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:06:50 am »

It does.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 06:11:45 am »

As Sirbug said, check your stockpile linkages. If a workshop is set to take from a specific stockpile it will -only- take from linked piles, so if you've designated, say, an input stockpile for barrels, you'd also need to specify an input stockpile for plump helmets. I usually set up one without any barrels permitted for brewing, since I seem to get job cancellations otherwise.

Also, check that plump helmets are brewable in the kitchen menu (Z stock menu, Kitchen.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:49:56 am »

Path between the still and the plump helmet AND the barrels?

Well if you don't want to figure it out, I suggest you just remove the still and stockpiles, rebuild them so they are placed near each other, see what happens.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »

Also, check that plump helmets are brewable in the kitchen menu (Z stock menu, Kitchen.

YES!  And make sure they aren't cookable, as cooking them kills the seeds.  This can really nail you in early times.

This menu can be used to force brewing of a specific plant/fruit if you need seeds from that plant/fruit, so it can be very useful.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:17:04 pm by Ancalagon_TB »
hamster cheese supplies are low