Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitchen Mess and lack of booze  (Read 539 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Kitchen Mess and lack of booze
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:20 am »

Using the latest version 40.16 i have noticed not only that my stills refuse the plently of plumphelmets sitting in my barrels (Stills are all red) no. The kitchen tab lists me only 54 plump helmets and is completely devoid of all the seeds and meat and plants i have laying around.

No, nothing is forbidden. yes evertyhing can be reached by everything by 3 tile wide hallways.
No i didnt mess with burrows or workorders or routes. This fortress here is nto even a year old.
And yes i have enough dwarfes to do the jobs and yes they have the right jobs activated.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen Mess and lack of booze
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:36:07 am »

Got lots of empty barrels? No burrows? No linked stockpiles?
()==[:::::::::::::>

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:38:58 am »

I'm still on 0.40.15, so my situation might differ slightly.
Here are some things I can think of:
- Are Plump Helmets listed as Brewable in the Kitchen list (I always disable cooking and ensures brewing is enabled, and I think brewing is on by default).
- Are the barrels locked by some dorfs trying to put stuff in them (a feeder stockpile is what I use to reduce this problem)?
- Are the Plump Helmets stored together with other food (mixed food setting)? If so, access for storing/retrieving other food in the barrels might block. I disable mixed food and also try to have a separate stockpile for the brewery raw materials.
- Is the still Linked to some other stockpile (probably not, and if so, I think you can only see that by looking at each stockpile to see what they are linked to, as workshops don't display links).
- Ah, yes: Do you have barrels/large pots to store the results in? There is a message when you run out of barrels, but it's easy to miss.
- I assume you've seen the new kitchen menu layout has three tabs, where the first one is Vegetables/fruit/leaves, the second one is Seeds, and the third one is Meat/fish/other, and you switch between the sections using <TAB>.

The above partially overlaps what ptb_ptb posted while I was typing, but I'm too lazy to remove the overlap...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:04:42 am »

To put more prominently what PatrikLundell said:

the kitchen tab has been split into three sub-tabs now, i think it's new for .40.15. First tab shows only plants/fruit, second only seeds, third everything else. I think they're all alphabetically sorted now.

To find out what's wrong, you can order "brew drink from plants" jobs from the manager screen. Even if you currently can do it, at least cancellation messages will show you what's missing; unfortunately, the still dialogue just tells you "can't be done" without telling you where the problem lies. Anyway, at <100 plants, getting blocked through hauling is a very common occurence in my experience. I tend to use no-barrels stockpiles for plants.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:07 am »

Cant believe i've missed that kitchen tab update.... O.o

I indeed found out that i had a lack of barrels. the barrels i wanted to produce got never produced.
Lazy hairy butt that guy... Gonna be fun with him in the future.

Thanks for the help. Embarassing that happened to me, i aint a new player after all... xD o.O