Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Dwarven Compendium (WIP) - last update: Armor, Uniforms, Armor layering ....  (Read 15305 times)

PanTheSatyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I plan on recreating the dwarven compendium in html + css.

Some people asked me for source files and said that they would like to expand and edit the compendium. All psd (photoshop) files together are currently 8 GB. I can't reasonable upload 8 GB with my upload speed.

Recreating it in html/css should drastically reduce the file speed by using textures that can be cached by your browser. I allready extracted most images and created all textures i would need.... The complete file size is about 50 MB which even includes some psd files and unnecessary huge images. All textures and images are saved as PNG so there is no loss through compression.

It has many advantages for me, too. If i currently want to change the page numbers of multiple files i have to open them all in photoshop and save them in different formats, which is time consuming if the files are some hundred megabytes big. Also i could, for example, easily change the background color of hotkeys in less then a minute...

I'm also quite common with php so I will use that knowledge for automatic pagination and other nice things.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice, it will help me!
Thanks.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile

So... how's it going? :3
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

PanTheSatyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still working on it, its not abandoned!

I created mysql database tables and already filled most them. I want pages like the crop table and armor-stats pages to be generated automatically based on mysql tables. Enhancing or updating them will be way easier this way.

Currently I'm working on a little framework. I want the index and pagination to be automated.

Also, every handbook for a game should be available in multiple languages so I'm working on a simple approach to translate the dwarven compendium. Each page can be translated individually and if no translation is given it will fallback to english.

Usually I would have used gettext which is a standard php module for translation but instead I decided to use html pages for each page that contains separated texts. I hope that it's easier this way that different pages are translated by different people at the same time and that its more intuitive to translate the text. (gettext is usually better suited to translate small parts of text on dynamically generated webpages).

It will look like this:

I will translate the compendium into german myself, so once I'm finished it will be already available in two languages.

Oh, and I decided to "split" the compendium into three books. Or rather add two books.

First, the dwarven compendium dedicated to fortress mode.
Secondly "the dwarven survival guide" for adventure mode.
And lastly "the dwarven bestiary" which will contain information about animals, creatures and civilizations.

Further I want the handbooks to be displayed in different DPI's so I made a little script that automatically recalculates width, height, x and y statements and resizes Images.

I can't say for sure when this will be finished. However, once it is finished enhancing and updating the compendium should be way easier than using photoshop.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:35:10 am by PanTheSatyr »

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:P
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Very true, except I find it happening for 'modding / playing the mod-inspiring fortress' rather than 'automation / original task'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the dwarven compendium. Is it still ongoing?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice work. I see you have plans to add foreign weapons to the compendium which is good since they are an oft overlooked part of DF, particularly for those of us who don't adventure.

One thing you might want to remove on the current weapon descriptions is your assertion that picks are never the best possible weapon for a job since they are perhaps the overall most effective weapon in the dwarven arsenal and there are definitely instances where they will outperform any of the other native dwarven weapons. Picks have a couple of virtues that put them out ahead of the other dwarven weapons in most situations.

Picks only have a single, highly effective attack type which is a high velocity edged attack that has a small enough contact area that it will pass through armor and penetrate deeply but yet it is still wide enough to sever body parts with ease. This makes them very consistently effective compared to the other edged weapons which have a grab bag of attack styles which generally include several quite ineffective blunt attacks such as pommel strikes. Even in naked combat where battle axes are often thought to reign supreme, a pick will outperform them simple because the pick user will not waste his time using pommel strikes. When it comes to heavily armored foes the pick will leave axes and swords in the dust and will generally outperform spears as well. In general, the only enemy picks don't do well against are the undead due to the fact that they sever limbs which we all know can lead to a real mess.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:34:37 pm by Melting Sky »

bicueites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good source of information.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to watch.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is beautiful, and greatly appreciated!!
following

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/

Question: Will this be expanded upon for the 2014 release?
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like it won't. Not in the near future at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]