Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot haul coins to depot  (Read 1442 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannot haul coins to depot
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:57 pm »

Simply said, coins do not show up in the list when selecting stuff to haul.

Why not? :/
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot haul coins to depot
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:45:34 pm »

Have you tried filtering on the word 'coin'?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:40:13 pm »

Yes.

(This was literally the shortest post ever but I honestly don't have anything else to say :( )
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:00:05 pm »

Are they in bins? You might have to find the proper bin to send to the depot.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:53:31 am »

Also possible that you have a noble who likes coins, there's a coin mandate in effect, and you have mandate filtering on. Or the coins are forbidden / unpathable.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:55:52 am by Eidako »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 05:32:55 am »

I have a vague recollection I had the same problem. I think I had to order the coin bin to be hauled to the depot. Another possibility is that the coins are being shuffled around (e.g. the coin bin being carried to your forge to get the next coin stack), which would make it unavailable for the duration of that action.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:57 am »

For some strange reason, the coins did not show up in the list before I started trading, but now that I'm done, they do.

On side note, the broker didn't go to the depot after several minutes of doing nothing while the depot requested a trader, and after a while I decided to allow anyone to trade. The result was that some woodcutter who hasn't had anything to do for weeks came to trade. Luckily because of this unemployment he has had plenty of time to build up social skills, which helped quite a lot. Sadly he didn't have Judge of Intent which didn't allow me to take advantage of the mood system, but apparently he didn't have Appraiser he still was able to identify the worth of all items accurately, including my own and the merchant's.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:35:40 am »

For some strange reason, the coins did not show up in the list before I started trading, but now that I'm done, they do.
Sounds like a hauling problem.

On side note, the broker didn't go to the depot after several minutes of doing nothing while the depot requested a trader, and after a while I decided to allow anyone to trade.
Broker laziness is pretty standard; enabling anyone to trade is a real time-saver. A skilled trader is overrated anyway; sure he can get the best deal from the caravan, but since the caravan's profits influence future caravans, getting the "best deal" is often counterproductive.

apparently he didn't have Appraiser he still was able to identify the worth of all items accurately, including my own and the merchant's.
No, the values were determined by your broker (like all item values in your fortress). The trader just goes by the little price tags your broker has somehow managed to attach to every item on the map. Your trader, though, does gain appraisal skill from looking at the prices for so many goods.

edit: Oh, and coins are very poor trade goods. A bar's worth of goblets will be 3x-36x more valuable.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:25:41 pm by Loci »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:09 pm »

I had assumed the coins were intended for a coinstar, which I think is the only thing they are good for (if doing that, use the cheapest metal).

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 02:10:21 am »

Well items being hauled or to be hauled usually can't be tasked by another.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 07:55:11 am »

Well items being hauled or to be hauled usually can't be tasked by another.
I know about that (*cough cough* seeds *cough cough*), but I'm pretty sure that nobody was tasked to do something with the coins. The bin was properly stockpiled, unused, and the mint coins order was done long ago.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 02:46:52 pm »

weren't there some bugs regarding coins?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 02:09:19 pm »

I had this issue last night.  The solution that worked was to create a coin stock pile, no bins.  After the haulers placed the coins (from the forge) to the coin stock pile, I was able to select the coins in the trade depot from the All category.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 10:49:12 pm »

Sounds like a hauling problem.

On side note, the broker didn't go to the depot after several minutes of doing nothing while the depot requested a trader, and after a while I decided to allow anyone to trade.
Broker laziness is pretty standard; enabling anyone to trade is a real time-saver. A skilled trader is overrated anyway; sure he can get the best deal from the caravan, but since the caravan's profits influence future caravans, getting the "best deal" is often counterproductive.

That said, it helps to have a broker who knows the price of everything, one who doesn't even give you prices in the trade window makes life really difficult.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 01:28:00 am »

That said, it helps to have a broker who knows the price of everything, one who doesn't even give you prices in the trade window makes life really difficult.
Yeah, that's why I wait until I have a dwarf with appraisal to appoint a broker, and then don't even worry about who trades, it's usually one of the "trader" dwarves who has high negotiation skills anyway...