Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Heirloom (Fort/Adv Succession) [FORT PHASE, NEED PLAYERS]  (Read 1596 times)

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
The Heirloom (Fort/Adv Succession) [FORT PHASE, NEED PLAYERS]
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:53:41 pm »

Spoiler: Old idea (click to show/hide)

New idea (as originally proposed by Timeless Bob):
Spoiler: Fortress Phase (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adventurer Phase (click to show/hide)
Here is a DFFD link to the world we will be using:
DFFD link

Spoiler: Picture of the world (click to show/hide)

Current game status:
I tried to start my turn, but the new features in 0.40 were too much for my FPS and I was forced to give up my turn.
Anyone who wants to pick it up need only download it and start posting!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:16:59 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

Ambidextrous

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually no, not really.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Legendary Warrior (Adv Succession)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:38:45 am »

PTW

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »

I'M  too clueless to run any form of adventure game, but I like the idea. PTW.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 06:08:34 am »

Thank you for the mention of the 'Tourist' game.  It certainly was a fun one.  However, perhaps a small change to your focus could make the game a bit different - have the focus be on a legendary heirloom weapon, whose kill list will be lengthened adventurer by adventurer as each in their turn picks it up to further its glory.  Important part here - each new adventurer must first go and claim the weapon from where it was placed or fell - whole sets of turns might be expeditions to reclaim the dread blade (or whatever) from the lair of whatever creature had slain its last bearer...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:50 pm »

Thank you for the mention of the 'Tourist' game.  It certainly was a fun one.  However, perhaps a small change to your focus could make the game a bit different - have the focus be on a legendary heirloom weapon, whose kill list will be lengthened adventurer by adventurer as each in their turn picks it up to further its glory.  Important part here - each new adventurer must first go and claim the weapon from where it was placed or fell - whole sets of turns might be expeditions to reclaim the dread blade (or whatever) from the lair of whatever creature had slain its last bearer...

Wow, that sounds great, Timeless Bob! That should certainly make things more interesting. Maybe the first task should be to collect the legendary blade from the fallen fortress that created it? Just retiring the fort wouldn't be enough fun.

What should be a suitable legendary weapon? I'm thinking that any artifact or named masterwork weapon made of a suitable weapon material would be good.

EDIT: Just remembered from The Museum game that artifacts seem to have glitches where they must stay in a container or risk having it get warped back to the fort it was retrieved from? Or have it disappear upon abandoning the fort? Was this fixed in the latest version or does the weapon have to be an unnamed, non-artifact item?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:13:28 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Heirloom (Adv Succession)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:06:08 pm »

Artifacts no longer warp.  That glitch is fixed.  Also, once a PC becomes a night creature, they also might just become a target for that very same weapon as well, which is another good reason not to become one.  A Monster-bane weapon... what status!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:09:58 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »

It might be interesting if a night creature adventurer was allowed to keep the weapon and the next one had to kill them and take it, but I guess that'd require a lot of grinding before you could even get the thing from their cold dead hands.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:46:09 pm »

It might be interesting if a night creature adventurer was allowed to keep the weapon and the next one had to kill them and take it, but I guess that'd require a lot of grinding before you could even get the thing from their cold dead hands.

Or you could get lucky with throwing (unless that was nerfed?). I think it's just a bit more thematic to have the no night creature restriction, and helps prevent adventurers from becoming overpowered and killing too many things.

Also, Timeless Bob: About the night creature thing, do you mean that becoming a night creature while in possession of the weapon will make that specific character a target by future adventurers? You know, maybe I will repeal that rule, but it could become confusing since that character will likely wander around the map, so you'd have to ask locals if they know anything about that character... which they might not. Then you have generations of characters just searching for the night creature that stole their beloved... Actually, now that I think about it, that's pretty dang awesome. Changing the rule so that while players still have to join the forces of the night, they get to keep the weapon. I just hope this happens sometime!

EDIT: realized that Timeless Bob actually meant that an adventurer wielding the weapon would target the PC that became a night creature by means of monster hunting. Maybe I'll change the rule back; on second thought, having periods not knowing where the weapon was could cause mass confusion and annoyance. Slaying a night creature with the weapon he was originally trying to serve, though: that's awesome.

...I suggest that the Heirloom be made of silver, just for this purpose.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:19:20 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:43:21 pm »

I want to get this underway now, so I'm going to need some players on the turn list. I'll be taking the first year of the fortress phase.

I generated a medium region world from advanced world gen, and stopped it on the year 100 due to history lag. The world is called Róth Nitem, "The Domain of Vision."

Behold, Róth Nitem!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm using 0.40.14, and while 0.40.15 is now out with a bunch of bugfixes I doubt it'll matter later on; saves should be perfectly compatible after I'm done with my turn.

Before I actually embark on a site though, I would like to know what YOU would want to have our future adventurers travel through!
Should it be an easy trek through the plains, or will they have to endure a haunted area filled with the bodies of the risen dead? Those adventurers will be coming for the Heirloom, and it's your decision how hard it is to get there!

If anyone wants to check the world out before the game starts, here it is:
DFFD link
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:57:28 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »

Or you could get lucky with throwing (unless that was nerfed?). I think it's just a bit more thematic to have the no night creature restriction, and helps prevent adventurers from becoming overpowered and killing too many things.

Also, Timeless Bob: About the night creature thing, do you mean that becoming a night creature while in possession of the weapon will make that specific character a target by future adventurers? You know, maybe I will repeal that rule, but it could become confusing since that character will likely wander around the map, so you'd have to ask locals if they know anything about that character... which they might not. Then you have generations of characters just searching for the night creature that stole their beloved... Actually, now that I think about it, that's pretty dang awesome. Changing the rule so that while players still have to join the forces of the night, they get to keep the weapon. I just hope this happens sometime!

EDIT: realized that Timeless Bob actually meant that an adventurer wielding the weapon would target the PC that became a night creature by means of monster hunting. Maybe I'll change the rule back; on second thought, having periods not knowing where the weapon was could cause mass confusion and annoyance. Slaying a night creature with the weapon he was originally trying to serve, though: that's awesome.

...I suggest that the Heirloom be made of silver, just for this purpose.

Actually, you had the right of it at first glance - night creatures spawn quests against them, ergo, they become targets for Heirloom-bearers.  Should it be my game, I'd stipulate that once an adventurer becomes a night creature, that they must drop the monster-bane weapon ASAP.  (The weapon has a mind of its own and actively seeks to destroy all "monsters", much like the malice contained in Sauron's ring from the Tolkien books.)  However, it's not my game, I'm merely suggesting possible directions for it.  That you have decided to try out one of mine is immensely flattering.

It might be better to place the first embark in a place difficult to get to but not impossible - I suggest making a random dwarven adventurer and whichever place he/she lands, that's where you place the site. (Or near enough to be adjacent to it.)  That would encourage the first Heirloom-bearers to be dwarven, but the weapon may be claimed later by heroes of other races, as its fame (and access to it) increases in other civs.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:31:44 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 04:39:50 pm »

It might be better to place the first embark in a place difficult to get to but not impossible - I suggest making a random dwarven adventurer and whichever place he/she lands, that's where you place the site. (Or near enough to be adjacent to it.)  That would encourage the first Heirloom-bearers to be dwarven, but the weapon may be claimed later by heroes of other races, as its fame (and access to it) increases in other civs.
So you mean to make the embark near a dwarven civ to allow accessibility to initial dwarven adventurers, but in a place difficult enough that it's no cakewalk? On it!

I'm a little confused about if you want night creatures immediately ending their game after dropping the weapon, though. However, in terms of thematics, my reasoning for the night creature dropping the weapon is that it is a holy artifact that repels evil through Armok's holy blessing. Killing monsters is, in a way, therefore a form of pilgrimage to Armok and a proof of faith. And I did change the rule back to dropping the Heirloom.

EDIT: What's your sense of "difficulty" in terms of embark area --> adventure mode exploration? There's plenty of good spots near dwarf civs but I'm not sure which I should choose. Currently, what I'm thinking of is a site near a civ called The Honest Glaze, although it's rather widespread, so if you're unlucky you may have to travel from one end of the civ to the other (but there's another dwarven civ, The Polished Wall, that is closer if this happens repeatedly). It's near a tower, has a "Wilderness" savagery rating, a river, plenty of trees, shallow metal, deep metal, and flux stone. There are also some slopes, but no cliffs. Here's a picture of the spot:
Spoiler: embark pic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:47:15 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Heirloom (Fort/Adv Succession) [FORT PHASE, NEED PLAYERS]
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »

That's a good spot, and you can make it more difficult by excavating a smoothed labyrinth filled with lever/bridge puzzles for adventurers to solve when they actually get to your fortress in the first place, if you like.  Supports can be linked to levers to collapse too, which is usually what I put in my labyrinth puzzle prizes.  Red herrings in the form of extra levers or pressure plates that open/close a one-time use floodgate for instance, are also fun to mess around with, (so long as you have a pump system to empty the labyrinth again once its filled, because otherwise all your clever planning is a one-use affair, which can be a bit of a let-down.)

For me, the night creature adventurers would drop the heirloom weapon then go find/take over a suitable place to retire as their "lair".  Sewers or catacombs in cities seem to be popular, or the lair of a night creature, a necromancer's tower or even a goblin civ could all be useful places.  Once they turn into a night creature, they're no longer considered heroes, but rather nemesis to be vanquished by heroes. 

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 03:37:30 pm »

Overseer's Log

We reach our destination on the 15th of Granite in the year 100; we have arrived at Udarvabôk, "Rainyorb."
Oddly, the mountainhomes forbade the use of iron anvils, and a steel one costs three times as much; we'll have to make do.
Our crew of seven are skilled in various things, yet the price of a steel anvil reduced my funds towards a more experienced group.
Litast Nêcikcatten: farmer, brewer, butcher, tanner
Ingish Thadathel: miner, mason
Èzum Rigòthstâkud: lumberjack, carpenter
Melbil Ilromkûbuk: lumberjack, axedwarf
Ral Libashèrith: mechanic, furnace operator
Ingish Endokkêshshak: fisherdwarf
Ùshrir Sákrithendok: miner, stone crafter

Our equipment has suffered a similar fate; fortunately, our area has plenty of trees, so we were able to dump all of the wooden stuff.
Spoiler: Embark supplies (click to show/hide)

Now, let's look at where we landed, eh?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We had better get a good fortress going before the necromancers attack, it's been rumored that there's an evil tower nearby.

EDIT: The snow melted the day after. However, I will not be able to continue this; 0.40.14 is just too dang slow for it to be played effectively. I'll try .15 to see if it's any different, but if not, I'll just post the save here for the next person to use instead.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:47:13 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 04:10:14 pm »

Sorry, but my computer is just not good enough to handle the new features of 0.40. I now have to abandon the game in the hopes that someone else will pick it up, as I can't play it myself.  :'(

Here's a DFFD link to the current save. I started mining out a small base, feel free to do what you want with it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10051