Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea on how to beat the demons  (Read 1634 times)

Parker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Idea on how to beat the demons
« on: August 26, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

Alright, this whole idea depends on my theory that demons can not cross the chasm without a bridge, so if they can, this whole idea is useless.

So, my plan would look like this.

code:

LAVA
xx###xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
L BBB       L         x~~~~~~~ < - Dwarf hallway
xx###ffffffffffffffffff~~~~~~~
L BBB                  BBBBBBB  <- demon hallway
xx###xxxxxxxFxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
AAAAAxxxxxxx~xxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
AAAAA~~~~~~~~~xxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
AAAAAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~

# = chasm

B = retractable bridge, with level next to it so you can retract it

f = fortification so you can shoot through

x = solid rock

A = aqueduct

F = flood trap

L = lever

~ = lava/water

So, once you bridge over the lava (on the right), the demons will pour out.  You instantly raise the bridge to the left of the demon hallway, and then open the floodgate to fill the demon hallway with water.

You will have all your dwarves stationed in the dwarf hallway with plenty of ammo, but you can leave the bridge down, so they can go get more ammo and stuff.  You could even have dug upwards to open that whole area out, so your forges can be producing weapons and ammo right there.

Once the flood gates are opened, and the bridge is raised, it will look like this:

code:

LAVA
xx###xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
L BBB D D D L  D  D D x~~~~~~~ < - Dwarf hallway
xx###ffffffffffffffffff~~~~~~~
L ###~&~&~&~&&~~~~&&~~~BBBBBBB  <- demon hallway
xx###xxxxxxx~xxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
AAAAAxxxxxxx~xxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
AAAAA~~~~~~~~~xxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~
AAAAAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~

D = dwarf marksman

& = demon.

You will have plenty of time to shoot and kill the demons, since they are trapped there.

Thoughts?  Flaws?  Think this would work?  I'm getting ready to bridge the lava to try it out.  Of course, my miner will die, but that's a small price.

[ August 26, 2006: Message edited by: Parker ]

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea on how to beat the demons
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fortifications, well, basically holes in the walls, and hence the flooding would be at least as dangerous (and probably more so) to your archers behind them as it would be to the invaders from the depths? I haven't tried building anything this elaborate, but I vaguely recall my own fortifictions by the river soaking through whenever someone inadvertently opened a door during flood season.

Parker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »

Hmm... I'm pretty sure that fortifications act as any other wall.  I may be wrong, though.

Either way, you could just do without the floodgate and water, but you'd have to kill the water vulnerable demons with bolts along with the immune ones.

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 02:12:00 pm »

I wonder, though, if your assumption about the draw bridge is correct (that is, demons won't be able to cross), if you'd be able to fire a siege engine across the bridge while it's out. *That* could be super-nasty against any foe that can't fly.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »

You could use channels to keep the water where it is.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »

Once I get that far, I'm thinking of trying to create a demon steamer hallway that pours both water and molten lava into the hall at the same time.

Parker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »

Alright, I tested it out, but it turns out that demons can swim through lava (duh)

So, I'll get back to you all again once I try pulling up every single bridge across the chasm (3)

The demons did, however, swim downstream across the lava halfway across the map so they could get to my smelters and stuff, which leads me to believe that they can NOT cross the chams w/o a bridge.  Which is good.  I'm starting over so I can make my defenses right this time.

Pesty13480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 12:21:00 am »

One of the folks over on the SA forums has already managed to annihilate the demons and get access to the sweet, sweet ores beyond. He reports, however, that the game effectively comes to an end in that no more caravans or such like seem to ever arrive after their defeat.

He could be pulling this out of his behind, but he has the screenshots to prove it.

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 12:23:00 am »

So, wait, dwarf fortress can actually end without you dieing or quitting??
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 12:23:00 am »

Aw... that's disappointing. I was hoping to declare war on the humans and elves after that.

Pesty13480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 12:32:00 am »

I don't think it really ends, just that you stop receiving migrants / nobles / caravans. Apparently, the lava almost borders on the rightmost edge of the map too.

I'll see if I can get him to come here and post.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 02:23:00 am »

I beat them as well, losing a lot of dwarves but I won.

Too bad that by bridges over the river got knocked down by my own stupid dwarves, and they would not build them again whatever I tried due to pathfinding issues (which also slowed the game to a crawl)

Really it was quite annoying. I'd been training my military for ages to beat them, only to be defeated by pathfinding errors.