Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your longest fort?  (Read 3150 times)

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your longest fort?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »

My longest fort lasted 7 years before a vampire plunged the fort into a tantrum spiral. Good times... Good times.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 07:30:30 pm »

My longest fort lasted about 12 years. It was killed by ennui.
Basically I'd cheated, beat the FPS (though I scummed that away and reverted to a save that never breached because I lost my entire military to gas-based syndromes) and started to feel bad about it. I wanted to do a fort legit. However, I've never managed to stay inspired enough to get a fort that old again. I now rarely get past the first few years. That's why I try to play succession forts now: all the joys of playing DF, but I can actually motivate myself to go through the process of building and optimizing a fortress.

Acthrelion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 06:06:40 am »

My Fort lasts about ten and a half year now. My first successful so far. I am playing version 34.11

I embarked on a Taiga Biome with an vulcano. Lots of Iron and Copper, some tetrahydrite an gold. Tried a very
 compact design to minimize hauling labor.

Deadliest enemy so far is the FPS Drain, so i use Quantum Stockpiles for almost stuff. Even the Civilans are clad
in steel (light armor, does not wear off). Everything not steel is melted asap. Clothing is selled to caravans.  All
 non grazing and non egg laying animals are caged. FPS is around 20-30 with a population cap of 130. It drops significant
with irrigation projects and sieges.

Caves are breached but sealed. Just to use for underground tree farming or grazers. Maybe i'll explore them later on.
No Candy found so far.

As you might guess, i am no native speaker.
Sry, i am no native speaker. Just try'in my best.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 07:32:06 am »

100yish years in 34.11, with only 10 dwarves (nodded starting amount and maxage/child to see how many generations would survive). Finish was around 60 dwarves living, with new families popping from time to time. Abandoned out of boredom.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »

My Castlemarket fort (see sig) is nearly at year 3 (2 in story).

IT'S MY LONGEST.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 11:38:54 am »

Longest fort was back in .34.11

Lasted about 170 years. A syndrome started going about turning everyone's insides into nothing but blood. They'd pass it on to each other and then it would show up as bruises all over the body, and about a month later they'd just fall over and splat. Blood would go everywhere. Didn't realize that it spread through contact with blood. Yeah...
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:52 pm »

My longest fort lasted for about 3 years. I have yet to make a fort large enough to survive an actual siege. If there's one goal in mind that I'd like to do someday, it's to make a fort full of archers standing and patrolling on top of guard towers (while also being protected from fortifications).

The only issue I have with making marksdwarves fight in battlefields is the way they use arrows; they can't seem to pick the copper arrows I give them. Instead, they use wooden ones when it comes to changing schedules from training to actual fighting.
My post ends here.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 03:42:54 pm »

50 years, back when i was relatively new and surviving indefinitely still felt like the goal.  (When you have been around long enough of course winning is xx-Okay-xx but losing is !!FUN!!)  Was shooting for 100 but the FPS death kicked in and time was dragging.

It was a nice fort -- motte and bailey on a little natural hill, with patrols and a little weapon trap corridor on the surface, plenty of fall back bridges and doors for emergencies, standard rectangular living warrens carved in the shallow stone.  The memorable feature was a silver-and-glass aquadome in the first cavern lake, with noble housing built in underneath. Some close calls in the second decade with flying goblins and syndrome monsters through the cavern well, but it was pretty much secure after all the construction was done, year 25 or so. 
Pages: 1 [2]