Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with job selection  (Read 2391 times)

Curt5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem with job selection
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:45:47 pm »

Hey, new to DF, on my first fort. Things seem to be going well, but I'm having a problem assigning jobs. Whenever I try to de-assign or assign a new job to somebody (For example: Make this new migrant Armorer a useful Engineer) the job selection flashes white, then goes back to grey. If I try to de-assign a job, it goes grey for a second, then returns to white. This happens for most other jobs, though not all; Mining will always override any other job, but I can't de-select mining.
As a result I have like four miners now.
What am I doing wrong?

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with job selection
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »

Are you using dwarf therapist or in game commands of some sort?

If your using dwarf therapist, you have to Commit the changes after you click the boxes.  The Commit button should be up top middle left.

Curt5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »

I am! And I messed around with DT for a while and set everybody's work. I hit commit, and hit "Re-read dwarves" and all my changes were gone.
Help me out?

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:48:47 am »

OK, lets see...

In DT, when you make a change to a dwarfs labors, a little orange/reddish box will appear around the labor square for that dwarf you just clicked on.  The box will also become shaded blueish (if the labor is now enabled) or unshaded if it is turned off.  Keep in mind this shade is independent of the Labor group colors that simply help you navigate the panel (those never change).

When you hit the Commit button, ALL the Orange change indicator boxes should go away, leaving just the (now switched by you) shaded/unshaded labor squares.

THIS means that all changes are finalized in the game itself.

If you hit "re-read dwarfs" button BEFORE hitting "Commit", all changes are undone.  If you hit it right after using commit, NOTHING on the screen should change (unless the game is unpaused and doing stuff in the background).

Now, I think this is where your going wrong.  THE SHADED/UNSHADED BOXES indicate if the dwarf WILL/WILL NOT perform the labor.  THE SQUARE/DIAMOND in the box indicates HOW PROFICIENT the dwarf COULD do the job IF THE BOX WERE SHADED.

Is this what is happening?  Just a misunderstanding of the DT UI? 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:30:41 pm »

Some additional info in Dwarf Therapist: Unless you've messed around with the GUI, there is a box at the upper right part of the screen showing the uncommited changes you have made. This box empties when you hit Commit (and the change marks on the skills themselves disappear as well, as rjs71053 mentioned), and if you were to Read Dwarves before commiting, you'd undo the changes as well. If all else fails, use the in game controls, rather than DT as a work around.

I don't know what happens if the game is unpaused while messing with DT, but since you'd miss what's happening, I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

Curt5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 03:58:27 pm »

I've followed the instruction book to the letter; locate dwarves you want to change (For this instance, make my carpenter stop mining), click to un-shade the mining square, go to the Commit Changes box showing that I do, indeed, want to remove mining from his duty list. Hit Commit, it shows that he's no longer doing this. Read Dwarves, he is again. Nothing has changed in-game during this. I've tried this un-paused and paused, making different changes for different people, nothing seems to work! And it doesn't work in-game either; just hitting v-p-l to see what jobs they're allowed to do, and turning on/off jobs individually by hitting Enter, doesn't do anything. The job flashes white, as if it's selected, then goes grey again.
I checked the key configs, but Enter works just find to select anything else, the only problem is selecting jobs.

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »

The only other thing I can think of is you are using an optimizer plan without knowing it.  Those will change your labors around for you so you don't have to.  The thing is, that is more advanced then I believe you would be messing with.  But, without knowing where you downloaded your game and addons from, I can't discount that someone may have stuck one in without you knowing or understanding. 

So I think your next step should be is to try playing the game WITHOUT Dwarf Therapist running at all, and try changing the jobs around in game (v-p-l) and see what happens.  If your using a starter pack that runs it automatically, just "X"ing out of the program after it starts will work.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076

If that doesn't work, try downloading this starter pack here (Under the instructions part of the first post) and give it a try?  You will not have to abandon your current game, just unzip the contents into a different folder as your current game if you want.  Play a season or two and see how it goes.

Other then that, ill think on it, but nothing else is coming to mind at the moment.

Curt5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:07:01 pm »

Fixed it: I had turned on the DFHack "Auto-Job" system, which was messing with DT. I thought I had turned it off, but hadn't. With it permanently off, everything works fine!