Author Topic: Trees  (Read 2699 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Trees
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 01:36:10 am »

What do you do to manufacture beds?

Well I don't know if this is like cheating. But I usually cap my population at 50 at first then increase it when I feel ready.
I embarked on a desert last time with no trees on the surface. I bought every log from the caravans (especially elven caravans). I also bought cages, barrels and buckets so I didn't have to make them.
Using stone pots instead of barrels will also save a lot of logs.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 04:15:02 am »

What do you do to manufacture beds?

Well I don't know if this is like cheating. But I usually cap my population at 50 at first then increase it when I feel ready.

It's not cheating, it's good dorf management. I've been capped at 75 for a while now...

Well, I've had a few trees grow back in the recent dorf year, but still, it hasn't been anything like it used to be. Regrowth is now taking longer than it needs to be, and yes, I'm having to develop dorfy ways of firing up the kilns and furnaces...  I'm down to the third level of caverns, and I'm looking forward to getting to the magma. It is an incredibly deep dig, and there have been setbacks: The only "live" caverns, the uppermost ones, are now inhabited by a mosquito-type Forgotten Beast. I plan to put in a new set of living quarters, including dining and bedrooms, when I hit the magma, then it's working out how to get the magma umpteen billion miles up to near the surface, or moving all my furnace operations to the bottom. I've got no idea how it will be done. FUN.  :D  :D  :D

I haven't had a challenge like this since, yes, as someone said, when trees were one-log-per-tree. Well, unless you count my Fun With Aquifers games...

I guess I started playing too early, (.20d) and got used to treating wood more gingerly as a resource-- something to hoard until you REALLY needed it. back then, you couldnt make stone pots, and had to choose between metal barrels or wooden ones. Wooden ones were easier to make at the initial outset, and having enough wood to make both beds and barrels for a rapidly growing fortress was a challenge in and of itself, but I digress--- I just learned to be miserly with wood, and to only use it as needed, and to always seek alternatives.

Yep, I remember that time. {shudder} I don't remember having people to share my views and ideas with back then though. This is much more enjoyable!  :D People to commiserate with!

It's hard to trade for metals because if you only want steel, you can only get 4 steel bars. (And 4 iron and 4 pig iron and 8 coal, plus rocks (including ore), and whatever other iron/pig iron/steel trinkets you can find. Which is a pain in the butt.)

Yeah, I buy anvils. Lots and lots of anvils....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 10:15:12 am »

Yeah, you pay more for stuff you request, than for stuff you didn't request. Not necessarily double, but more. Depends on how much you request it, I think.

What do you do to manufacture beds? They all take wood. And do you hunt with metal bolts? That must get expensive as well. I use wood for a myriad of small tasks.

When embarking in a biome with no trees, typically I only use wood for beds, easy minecarts early-on, pump components if theres's an aquifer, charcoal for steel, and waterwheels.  Otherwise, I tend to rush the magma sea and build all the stuff I'd normally use wood for out of junk metal.  Like gold or copper.

That said, the first 2 or 3 years I set all the wood to highest need, which brings in roughly 80 logs the next year.  Coupled with whatever meager wood I can scavenge from the caverns, and it's enough to get a dormatory up early on, and bedrooms up in the second year.

So far as the bolts for hunters, I don't usually use hunters because of how inconsistent they are.  If I need meat, I either create a meat industry out of domestics or trapped wildlife, or just send my military out to practice on whatever looks tasty.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:18:28 am by Tacomagic »

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 05:21:48 pm »

(As an aside: Do the elves care if I cut down the mushroom trees, down below? Or do they only care about the above ground arborial conditions?)
They did before, I assume they still do in .40.x versions.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »

(As an aside: Do the elves care if I cut down the mushroom trees, down below? Or do they only care about the above ground arborial conditions?)
They did before, I assume they still do in .40.x versions.

....uh oh..... I didn't calculate on that... hmmm.

(How the hell do they KNOW?)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »

That's why they have pointed ears, they act as radar receivers for the pulses from the various types of wood.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.
Pages: 1 [2]