Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here I stand at the precipice looking down, paralyzed with trepedation...  (Read 1467 times)

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't played since early after the 2012 version was released. Ever since I heard of the release of 2014, I've been fighting a strange mood.

I have my world generated.

I have Prepared Carefully for my journey.

My dwarves have arrived.

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd:

Pause, Save and quit.

It's just been so long since I've played. What major changes should I expect from 2012.

Also, encourage me to unpause please.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If Dwarf Fortress isn't your game, then don't play it.

Mainly, things can climb walls now and dwarves are cowards without discipline skill.
Also the world is alive in real time now while you play fortress mode.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Plus the huge trees, thought rewrite, and grazing redo.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, this is very much my game.

I just know that I'll be at it for a few months once I get going lol

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile

Honestly, other than the recent emotion rework, the orientation addition, the new gathering zones, new plants, the new tree mechanics, and the new siege mechanics based on site distance, most of the changes for dwarf mode in 40.xx are actually bug-fixes.

Dwarf mode is really not all that different from what it was in 34.11, aside from a lot of bugs getting quashed and the above additions which haven't changed the dynamic too terribly much (with the exception of the emotion rework, which is quite different).

Additionally the battle mechanics were tweaked a bit and zombies of all flavors are now much more powerful.  And they can use armor and weapons.  Zombies are extremely nasty, leading to a lot more FUN!! when embarking in reanimation biomes.  Thrall dust is just down-right terrifying now.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Plus the fact that ballistae shoot better based on siege engineer skill, plus the fact that sharpness now effects bolts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

SO MUCH WOOD LITERALLY RAINING FROM THE SKY... that is basically the first thing I noticed after going from hoarding what I got for making beds and diving straight for magma if I wasn't near a volcano, to "holy crap, I can just make charcoal and actually use wood for furniture if I want", due to the multi tile trees.

Though you missed the hilarity of the pathing bugs where dorfs would start going somewhere, path up a tree, get to the edge of the branches, jump out and injure themselves or another dorf, freak out, run back up the tree in a panic, freak that they were in a tree, jump out, and repeat for far, far too long.

Some of the material properties were rebalanced, make sure you check up on them before you commit to building a military, the military fix was pretty significant as I recall, and while they still have bugs, they are capable of doing more than dying hilariously outside of a couple of uberdorf champions, though you'll still get cases where an alligator or zombie bites and/or punches everyone to death.

Reanimating stuff, good lord, I had a string of forts where I had partial reanimating biomes and while I didn't have much trouble due to the normal undead, I have actually lost a couple of forts due to my own stupidity about placing butcher shops or farmers workshops and so forth in a place that ended up setting loose a horde of yak hair and donkey skeletons to efficiently kill everyone up top while I was trying to probe the edges of a cavern down below.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile

i never understand why people ask others to convince them to play lol

if you wanna play, then play
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see they added Quinoa. My mom would go nuts over that, if she knew what Dwarf Fortress was.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Oh god, so many obscure fruits and veggies, and in .14 you can gather fruit now which means infinite booze, booze fountains for the booze god, wood thrones for the wood god!

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Here I stand at the precipice looking down, paralyzed with trepedation...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 04:56:54 pm »

Turns out I should have been more worried about the basics because I didn't add a pick after the rest of the embark was screwed up.

Although now that I'm typing this I realize I did have the resources to make one.

Oh well, always wanted to try doing an aboveground fort.