Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there anything of value in the levels between the caverns?  (Read 1547 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anything of value in the levels between the caverns?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 01:29:45 pm »

If a spear dwarf gets his spear stuck, he'll start bashing. Most weapons get stuck sometimes, so it's good to have a heavy copper shield to do some whacking with.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »

Can you control what they do? I thought you could just order them to use stuff and hope they would pick up what you told them to get and then use it in a (at least marginally) sensible way. I guess not giving them weapons would induce bashing behavior, though.
???

Dwarves will occasionally shield bash.  If you want to optimize them for damage give them heavy shields, so that even a maimed dwarf can still fight.

If you want them to be fast to respond use lighter shields, so they can move that much faster.  I usually mix both, having a light and heavy version using the appropriate loadouts.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 01:35:44 pm »

I always have a mixture of light and heavy soldiers:

Drapnir (not sure what it even means, or where I heard it, but it sounds cool) for heavy soldiers, consisting of metal everything, plus five leather cloaks, hoods, mittens and socks.

Then, Vilkai, for light soldiers. A metal weapon, mail shirt, helmet, then leather armour, leggings, gloves, boots, socks, mittens, one cloak and hood, and a wooden shield.

Ranged combat is completely ignored by me.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 01:45:25 pm »

Googled Draupnir (= The Dripper): A magical ring owned by Odin in the norse mythology. Every ninth night it produces 8 new rings of the same weight as the original.

Thanks for clarifying the use of a heavy shield vs a light one.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 01:51:37 pm »

Oh, Norse mythology. That explains why I knew it. Fixing all the names now. It was forged by dwarves, a fitting name for the strongest of my dwarven soldiers.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 12:27:45 pm »

I've had some cassiterite occasionally between caverns, which is nice for making bronze. I quite like bronze since it's more likely to be available to me than iron
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]