Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't my dwarves dump these rocks?  (Read 2641 times)

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't my dwarves dump these rocks?
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:55 am »

Why won't the dwarves dump those stones (the ones in purple)
They'll dump stones from just about anywhere in the fortress, but not from there. I need to get rid of them to build walls there.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my dwarves dump these rocks?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:43:14 am »

Are they forbidden? Are you trying to get them into a stockpile, or a garbage dump?
You can see if it's forbidden by loo(k)ing at it.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:55 am »

Are they forbidden? Are you trying to get them into a stockpile, or a garbage dump?
You can see if it's forbidden by loo(k)ing at it.
Trying to get them in a garbage dump.
They're not forbidden.
The bit to the right of it is all hospital zone, but these rocks are just outside that, in case that's relevant.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

Allow dwarves to gather refuse from outside, currently definition of outside is broken.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:24 am »

Gather refuse from outside is already on.
I think it's a bug that has to do with the borders of the hospital being next to these rocks or something
EDIT: removing all those walls I built and removing the hospital zone worked, but I still have no idea what caused it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:03:48 am by kahrkunne »

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:00:56 am »

Why not just build the wall? - the builders will move the rocks out of the way, or is that part of the problem ?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 11:28:29 am »

This might seem silly, but did you turn off the refuse hauling labor on your dwarves?

In case that's not right, have a look at the wiki page to see if you can correct it:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Garbage_dump

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:12:48 pm »

Why not just build the wall? - the builders will move the rocks out of the way, or is that part of the problem ?
They won't. They'll suspend the construction and say there's an item in the way.
Guys, I already fixed it by removing the walls around it and the hospital zone next to it. It's clearly a bug, but I don't know what's causing it.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 01:34:30 pm »

Allow dwarves to gather refuse from outside, currently definition of outside is broken.
Is that why I have to tinker with the refuse settings to get them to haul a kobold body from my food stockpile to the refuse pile outside?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:28:43 am »

If you don't mark the rocks for dumping/any other job, builders will move them aside while they're building the wall.
It may be that the wall build job in that spot is making the dwarves refuse to do jobs there - I remember advice given for getting dwarves to stay on the correct side of a wall being built was to make some more walls on the wrong side and then suspend them.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 03:16:30 am »

Were the stones being used to make those walls or some other construction? The dwarves won't move objects which are being used for another job and will instead suspend construction.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:26:20 am »

Were the stones being used to make those walls or some other construction? The dwarves won't move objects which are being used for another job and will instead suspend construction.
It's the dumping job. Ironically, in trying to move the rocks out of the way, OP has ensured that they wouldn't be.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 10:12:47 am »

Since nobody has asked the "obvious" question, are you sure this isn't a problem with the stones being outside your burrows?
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:48 am »

Since nobody has asked the "obvious" question, are you sure this isn't a problem with the stones being outside your burrows?
He already fixed the problem, I think we're just adding commentary to it now