Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best personality traits for military?  (Read 4028 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best personality traits for military?
« on: February 12, 2015, 03:49:52 am »

I'm currently screening our worthless peons finest young lads and lasses for enrollment in the military, and part of the evaluation is a psych test.

Does anyone have any tips as to what traits and attributes I should look for?

Here are the ones I'm looking for, I avoid dwarves that have these in the negatives:

Can handle stress
Is brave in the face of danger
Likes physical confrontations (I ignore this for marksdwarves)
Dreams of becoming a legendary warrior (Obvious, but so far I haven't seen any)

And here are the ones I'm unsure about. Do these have any effect at all?
Sees war as useful
Values martial prowess
Sense of duty
Values loyalty
Values sacrifice
Values perseverance
Values cooperation
Quick to anger
Seeks retribution
Confident in skills
Is cruel

Anyone have any ideas whether these are important? Should I just ignore personality traits and go with the ones that have the strongest attributes?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:54:21 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Best personality traits for military?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:15:48 am »

The martial prowess value for vanilla dwarves is just not high enough for you to see "Wants to become a legendary warrior" in dwarves. Or maybe 1 in 100 ? I put it to 30 and I have some of these.

Quick to anger is good, yes. Well, so dwarves go angry and have boost to skills; it's less good when your legendary military goes berserk.

The cowardice trait doesn't seem to do anything AFAIK. I've had a slightly cowardly dwarf and he just charged in the melee along with the others. Discipline is important.

Strongest attributes doesn't seem to be THAT important because dwarves train their attributes very well by military training, it seems.

I think the vengeful trait controls the aggressiveness of the civilian dwarves only. I would have a not vengeful dwarf due to it causing negative thoughts.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:48:51 am »

The martial prowess value for vanilla dwarves is just not high enough for you to see "Wants to become a legendary warrior" in dwarves. Or maybe 1 in 100 ? I put it to 30 and I have some of these.

Quick to anger is good, yes. Well, so dwarves go angry and have boost to skills; it's less good when your legendary military goes berserk.

The cowardice trait doesn't seem to do anything AFAIK. I've had a slightly cowardly dwarf and he just charged in the melee along with the others. Discipline is important.

Strongest attributes doesn't seem to be THAT important because dwarves train their attributes very well by military training, it seems.

I think the vengeful trait controls the aggressiveness of the civilian dwarves only. I would have a not vengeful dwarf due to it causing negative thoughts.

Well, this is good to know, especially the part about the cowardice. I might have to reconsider some of the rejected ones then. How does vengefulness cause bad thoughts?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:57:11 am »

Well, this is good to know, especially the part about the cowardice. I might have to reconsider some of the rejected ones then. How does vengefulness cause bad thoughts?

"He feels vengeful due to joining an existing conflict" is a bad thought, since it is in red. Same with ferocity (bah! it should be a good thought!) and terrified.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:27 am »

From my experience dreaming to be a legendery warrior and being able to be one are kinda two different things

Ive had one dwarf aspire to be one but he fled most confrontations and earning the title "wuss"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 02:38:40 pm »

Every psych trait is irrelevant except the ability to handle stress, perseverence and willpower (Perseverence and willpower are very important. They determine whether a dwarf will give in to pain, puke, fall over, and generally not do well when injured.), and whether or not they're disgusted by military pursuits. Helpful is if their goal in life is to master a skill, because then they can fulfil it through becoming a legendary warrior.

Physical traits to look out for are disease resistance and healing speed, since those are the only two you can't train AFAIK.

Consider assigning military prospects refjse hauling duty for a while. My entire fort is made up of dwarves getting used to tragedy, hardened individuals, and hose who don't care about anything anymore. With their sense of tragedy gone, every other psych trait is pretty much irrelevant because the dwarf will never snap.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game