Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop Requirements and Economy  (Read 323 times)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pop Requirements and Economy
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

I've read that to access all features of the game, including the economy, you need a high enough population (perhaps among other things).  However, I'd like to run a smaller fortress, largely for performance reasons, and it would also just be easier to keep track of everything.  Is it possible to get the 80 or 100 dwarves or whatever is necessary to access all the features, and then lose (that is, kill off  :D) many of those dwarves while still keeping the features?  Also, mostly out of curiousity, will sieges turn back into ambushes?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Requirements and Economy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

My experience shows that once you reach the requirements, you keep the requirements. My 30pop fortresses still had a fortress guard before it got back up into the 50s again. And this would apply to sieges too.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

Be careful, though:
If the surviving dwarves throw a tantrum after you kill that large a part of the population, which is likely, you might not have any dwarves left at all!

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

Thanks for the info.

And yeah, I intend to be careful about the tantrums.  Not too many at once (other than new immigrants who don't know anyone).  And I'll be checking the relationships screen as well.  If they have no friends, it shouldn't be problematic, should it?