Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bringing back loot?  (Read 342 times)

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
Bringing back loot?
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:13:00 am »

The dwarven trading caravan (first fall) was just killed by the herd of oliphants roaming my otherwise peaceful wilderness.
My newbie question is really three:

1) How do I set my dwarfs to collect the items the axedwarfs/traders dropped (is it enough to have stockpile/weaponrack space, and the haulers will eventually get it?) If so, how do I keep my dwarfs from looting while elephants are near?

2) How grave influence will the not returning  traders typically have on immigration?

3) How angry is an Oliphant really? (Approx. force to kill one)

Thanks alot in advance, and what a great game!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back loot?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »

1.  Dwarves will, in theory, collect stray weapons for your weapon rack, but you have to select the weapon rack with 'q' and make sure it's set up to take weapons of the appropate material and type first.  Weapon collection has always seemed a little spotty to me, though.  If you make a new axedwarf, woodcutter, or whatever, of course, they'll walk over to collect the nearest axe.

2.  Immigrants rely on trader reports to decide if they want to go to your fortress. If the traders don't return at all, immigrants will use last year's reports.  If those were your first traders, would-be immigrants will have no reports that your fortress was even established as planned, and therefore you will get no immigrants at all until after more traders come next year.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »

Thanks for the answers!
1) The case with the scattered items solved itself (dwarfs collected most), but another question is where to stack obsidian swords?, they do not seem to fit into the regular weapon racks (maybe this is the major drawback with obsidian atm?) I guess one can unclutter the craftshop by assigning swordsdwarfs and making traps.

2) Utter wrong!
First years dwarven traders were slaughtered to the last mule, but I still got 20 (!) immigrants the first late spring. :-)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:24:00 pm »

Pfft, I was sure that that's what Toady said...  oh well.  And I've seen obsidian weapons on racks before...  assuming you've set the racks to accept both obsidian and short swords, it's probably just more of that weapon-rack sketchness I was talking about before.  I think Toady plans to switch them over to the stockpile system eventually...

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One