Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning nobles  (Read 637 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drowning nobles
« on: August 26, 2006, 07:57:00 am »

My Berite and Ferite both just drowned within a month of each other.  The Berite had gone mad, so I didn't think much of that, but the Ferite seemed alright ("stricken by melancholy" once or twice, but it didn't seem permanent).  Anyway I checked where the Ferite's body is, and it's in the middle of the river.  It's midwinter, so he didn't get caught in a flood.  Do nobles not have the same self-preservation instincts as commoners?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning nobles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »

being stricken by melanchony is just another type of madness, which=bad.

imsabbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »

Well, in my newest fortress design, every nobles appartment will get a neat floodgate in the bedroom for convenient disposal...

Because although i like the pol pot approach (send them to the fields...), they get way to annoying all the time.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »

You know, I really hope Toady implements a way to make killing a noble an act of war against the patron nation:

If a floodgate opens and a dwarf drowns in water that passes through the same channel as the opened floodgate, the person who pulled the lever to open the floodgate should be held accountable for murder.  Murdering a noble while of sound state of mind is an act of war.  Water flows fast enough that the floodgate (and by extension the flow through that floodgate) would only need a memory of a minute or so before discarding the originator and allowing further drownings to be classified as accidents.

My two cents, anyway.  I'm always appalled at how brutal people are with their people.  Dwarves may be dour and taciturn, but clans and kinsmanship are traditionally their greatest strengths, and it just seems really counterintuitive for dwarves to be slaughtering one another in elaborate deathtraps...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
My two cents, anyway.  I'm always appalled at how brutal people are with their people.  Dwarves may be dour and taciturn, but clans and kinsmanship are traditionally their greatest strengths, and it just seems really counterintuitive for dwarves to be slaughtering one another in elaborate deathtraps...

JUST DOING MY DUTY, SIR

I WAS ORDERED TO PULL THE LEVER BY MY SUPERIOR

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

melancholy or insane dwarfs will sometimes commit suicide by jumping into the river or chasm.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 11:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dehydration:
<STRONG>

JUST DOING MY DUTY, SIR

I WAS ORDERED TO PULL THE LEVER BY MY SUPERIOR</STRONG>

Yeah, um, I have just one thing to say against that.

World War II. =P

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 11:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>

Yeah, um, I have just one thing to say against that.

World War II. =P</STRONG>

That'd be the reference, yes.

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

Premier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 06:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dehydration:
<STRONG>

That'd be the reference, yes.</STRONG>

Yes, but none of the powers in WWII kept demanding granite items and more cages and chains from their populace and throwing tantrums if their bedrooms weren't decorative enough, now did they?