Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean embark?  (Read 1087 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Ocean embark?
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »

I know the entire ocean freezes during winter, and that if you were fast enough, you could possibly dig a staircase through the ice to the underground before the spring thaw. Has anyone ever started in the middle of the ocean to build a dwarven atlantis?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean embark?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »

1. Oceans are much less likely to freeze in the current version. I don't know what the freezing point of salt water is now, but "freezing" on the border of a "cold" biome is warm enough that the ocean never freezes (but the ponds are frozen for ten months out of twelve and all precipitation we get is snow).
2. You can't normally embark in a location that has no fertile area (i.e. all-mountain and all-ocean embarks aren't possible). You can get around this with the embark anywhere script that can be enabled from DFHack. Good luck! If the ocean you embark on isn't frozen, everybody will drown.

So, try it in .34.11, with embark anywhere. It's certainly possible if you have enough time to drill down to solid rock.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:29:50 pm »

I know that, at leat in spring, Oceans in freezing areas are frozen.  I dont' know if they're frozen year round or if they do thaw for part of the year.  Using the DFHack script, you should be able to plop yourself down on one of those areas.  Maybe one that adjoins a cold area just to see what the interplay between the two are.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:07:37 pm »

For the world/embark below, the ocean is frozen for every season except Summer.

On the first day of Summer, it thaws.  On the first day of Autumn, it freezes solid.  The "Tropical Ocean" biome (most of the embark) will hold at 10,000'U up to and including the last day of Spring, and then on the first day of summer, the Temperature jumps to 10,003'U.

There are portions of the north & west adjacent ocean that remain frozen year round, just to prove you can have frozen and thawed ocean in the same embark.  8)

Spoiler: frozen ocean (click to show/hide)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »

Yeah, i've genned another world just for a look and arctic oceans were properly frozen. I must have lucked into some weird bug on that fort - "arctic" ocean that never freezes, ever. The ocean floor is covered in snow - under water! - and the fisherdwarfs are happily fishing in it year-round.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 06:45:09 pm »

For the world/embark below, the ocean is frozen for every season except Summer.

On the first day of Summer, it thaws.  On the first day of Autumn, it freezes solid.  The "Tropical Ocean" biome (most of the embark) will hold at 10,000'U up to and including the last day of Spring, and then on the first day of summer, the Temperature jumps to 10,003'U.

There are portions of the north & west adjacent ocean that remain frozen year round, just to prove you can have frozen and thawed ocean in the same embark.  8)

Spoiler: frozen ocean (click to show/hide)

I love how it's a tropical ocean.