Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing stairs for a well  (Read 549 times)

Murdersquish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing stairs for a well
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:27:01 am »

Hello. I have built a reservoir for a well and before I flood it, I need to remove the stairs. I'm unsure the right way to go about this. The stairs are carved in the rock; it's not a construction.

> z
X z-1
X z-2
< z-3  # This is the reservoir level

My guess is my dwarf is going to be stuck in the reservoir and I'll have to get him out some other way, like at the river breach.  My gut was to channel z-1, then channel z-2, then remove upstairs/ramps at z-3, then channel z. But, I don't want to have some dangly stairs in there if I do it wrong and make my well unusable.

And so, I come to you! What's the proper way to go about this?

Thanks,
MS

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing stairs for a well
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:48:15 am »

Can you dig well shaft on the adjusted tile? What if someone fall down the well, won't you let him climb up? Or you consider it too much of vulnerability?

They also learned to climb walls in 0.40, one my miner rose from the well shaft like that. Not sure how reliable this is.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?