Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weaponizing minecarts  (Read 1103 times)

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
  • [APPLY_CREATURE_ VARIATION:PSYCHOTIC]
    • View Profile
weaponizing minecarts
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:58 am »

Okay, is my minecart-launcher-going-through-a-magmafall gun a waste of time, or will it fill the carts on fire? What is your preferred design of minecart thumper? Any other suggestions?
Anyone can build a buttress at forty degrees, but it takes a DWARF to build one arbitrarily and have it be twice as strong!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: weaponizing minecarts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:49 am »

Well, we'd need schematics to tell you whether it was useless, but it's entirely possible to make a shotgun that fires magma.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:44:30 am »

I suppose I was a bit vague. Minecarts travel down a spiral several z-levels high, onto a straight track, then shoot off of the end of the track. The track is built above and behind the entrance to the fort. A tile of air separates the track end from a magma-fall, and my plan is to have the carts fill with magma midair before landing and spilling fun stuff all over the map.
Anyone can build a buttress at forty degrees, but it takes a DWARF to build one arbitrarily and have it be twice as strong!

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:14:10 am »

Sadly that won't work. Minecarts need to be on the ground and travelling below a certain speed in order to fill with magma. It is generally best to load the carts before attempting to fire them.

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:36 am »

Awwwww. If the cart is filled with lignite, will it at least light them on fire? Otherwise I will need to repurpose my magmafall.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:12 am »

Awwwww. If the cart is filled with lignite, will it at least light them on fire? Otherwise I will need to repurpose my magmafall.

The experiments done by Chaine Maile to light lignite inside a minecart did not produce encouraging results.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:45:14 am »

Mod in rock minecarts. Make lignite minecart. Win.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:01 am »

You could always spam wooden minecarts at things.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:48:28 am »

Damn, I had my hopes high on throwing !!LIGNITE BLOCKS!! at elves. Is there a convoluted way to get !!LIGNITE BLOCKS!! onto a drawbridge?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:42 am »

It's possible, but also entirely pointless - drawbridges throw stuff upwards with minimal and completely random horizontal spread.

If you want to throw stuff at a target, your options are siege engines and minecarts.

Bridges can theoretically throw stuff at targets passing above, but timing promises to make it unfeasible and targets above will likely be protected by whatever holds them up. Retracting bridges can be used to drop stuff onto targets from above, but their random lateral movement once again makes them less reliable than hatches and grates. Bridges are mainly good as obstacles or to directly crush or toss opponents (and once again, tossing only reliably goes up, horizontal components are minimal and uncontrolled).

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:03:58 am »

So then, use the shotgun effect? How do I load !!STUFF!! Into minecarts?