Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery targets working perfectly  (Read 1780 times)

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archery targets working perfectly
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »

According to the wiki, archery targets are really buggy and require lots of fiddling and workarounds to get dwarves to actually use them for practice.

Can someone explain, then, why the archery range I've built is working perfectly? I built three archery targets in the barracks, created a room from one of them, then created a second barracks encompassing the same room from a bed. Both overlapping rooms were assigned to my squad of marksdwarves, and their schedule set to constant training.

Most of the squad is usually in the room doing various exercises, with 2-3 of them loosing bolts down the archery range.

What's going on? Have archery ranges been improved in a recent update?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:22:18 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery targets working perfectly
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:14:39 pm »

Ammo stockpiles with bins sometimes screw up the equipment routine, but as far as i can tell, that's the only actual bug (and it might have been improved/fixed recently). The massive complaints are usually stuff like wrong directions on the targets, not assigning them for training or not assigning a barracks for an active squad.

I've had decent regular target training in 0.34.11, and in the various 0.40 releases as well; and the worst bugginess was one (of three) non-active marksdwarf catching a snag trying to get new ammo and idling for two weeks - then he snapped back to order and never had issues again.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »

That's refreshing. I remember having major headaches in the past trying to get my dwarves to train regularly.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:20:06 pm »

I've actually had off-duty soldiers go to archery practice while idling before.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »

Once I figured out my brilliant plan wouldn't work... putting a target on a wall column a ways out from the fort, run a floor to it and extend the range along the floor, then remove the floor and put fortifications up, only to learn they want to be able to reach the target on foot for some reason, I haven't had any trouble since.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:31:33 pm »

It doesn't help much that dwarves will bin items even if the stockpile has no bins allowed. Binning and unbinning my clothing and armor stockpile caused military dwarves to refuse to equip anything that had been binned as well.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:34:43 pm »

I can get archery ranges to work only if ammo is laying openly in a stockpile and not in bins. Otherwise, they will NOT train.

They also seem to favor the ranges that are longer than others. At least 8 tiles or so seems to be the minimum for good use. I had a few that were only 4 or 5 deep and so far they have been ignored.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:58 pm »

I had a hilarious moment with the machinegun version when I had learned that even if you predesignated a long range across floor out to a target before putting a fortification back at the firing side, though they could use it fine, they won't.

So I removed the fortification and put flooring back down, the instant it was completed one of the marksdwarves zooms RIGHT UP NEXT TO THE TARGET and unloads into it until his quiver was empty.

*buddabuddabuddabuddabuddabuddabudda*
"Man, I am so good at this."

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:42:44 pm »

I find archery target working well, too. Then there's a consequent problem. Dwarves do not replenish the quiver, even though there are enough unbinned ammo. They only start to pick up bolts when i claim the bolts lying around  the arcery target. It seems the forbidden bolts they shot out are still assigned to them, so they can neither pick up new ones or get the old ones back.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »

cleanowned scattered

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:57:40 pm »

Thanks!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:59:34 pm »

I would put it on a hotkey if I used it more often, but I don't have any free layouts that are convenient to use, so it's easier to just switch over to the terminal and toss the command out now and then if I see a bunch of random clothes or barrels everywhere.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 01:31:02 am »

I would put it on a hotkey if I used it more often, but I don't have any free layouts that are convenient to use, so it's easier to just switch over to the terminal and toss the command out now and then if I see a bunch of random clothes or barrels everywhere.
I think you can set it on a timer. The Starter Pack seems to have it set up to run monthly if I understand correctly. (It's some other fix scripts, but the concept is the same.)

Edit: There's an example given in repeat.lua:
Code: [Select]
repeat -time 1 -timeUnits months -command cleanownedUnfortunately, I can't get it to work. Certainly not with the "scattered" argument.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:14:10 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 07:47:39 am »

I think its the fact that you have both barracks AND archery set to trianing. After doing this, it started working perfectly for me.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:28:08 am »

I've got eight targets, both set to the two Marksdwarf squads, and they shoot fine on civilian duty. I don't have stockpiles. The only problem I have is them going through so much ammo I had to remove training from the first squad to give the second one some bolts to train with, and that's with two Craftdwarf's Workshops pumping out wooden bolts constantly from moderately-skilled Woodcrafters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.