Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Timeskippers  (Read 677 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Timeskippers
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:09 pm »

((Got this from my old RP fourm that is now dead))
There are an infinite number of timelines that branch off throughout history and prehistory all the way back to the big bang (and possibly beyond).

Through some means, you have acquired the ability to travel between timelines. Regardless of how long you've been doing it though, you never expected anyone else to do the same. You thought wrong.

Some will be reasonable, others will be insane, yet others will be malicious. Just remember, there's no running from any travelers who find you: Once you're in a timeline, the first person to leave that timeline will "lock" travel out of that timeline to the timeline you end up in for approximately 1 month. They won't just be able to follow you, they'll HAVE to.

Welcome to the life of a Timeskipper.

Okay, this is a pseudo-freeform RP. I will create the timelines we go to, which are essentially self-contained universes, and will add or remove threats towards the characters as needed. I will explain the next universe after we escape the last one, BUT you must be good RP sports and not have your characters know stuff that only you as the player know. Actually, as an added bonus, every time we go to a new timeline, I will actually pause the RP and present several options to you in this (OOC) topic, which you can then vote for the one you like the most. The one with the most votes after everyone has voted will be where we end up, and the second place timeline will be put into a list of timelines worthy of re-nomination in case I can't come up with enough choices easily.

The idea is to form a group, maybe two if some of you want to be evil, and travel the timestream sideways. You can't go back and change things, and you can't go forward, but divergence points are more common than atoms. What would have happened if Australia wasn't discovered for another hundred years? Sounds boring, until you realize that several major cities and an entire country would not exist (as we know them at least), which causes the births of countless people throughout history to not have happened. By that timeline's 2014, England and France have destroyed each other with chemical weapons, America is three countries (Cascadia, The Confederation and the Union), Quebec City is the new french capital, the Russians have absorbed Mongolia and declared war on China TWICE, and Spain is laughing all the way to the bank with an empire spanning from Mexico to the tip of South America to their name.

Remember, the Butterfly Effect is a very powerful thing. First rule of being a Timeskipper is "Never assume they speak a language you understand." and the second rule is "Always try to blend in". Speaking of which, both magic and advanced technology apparently exist among the timelines, so make sure to take advantage of that fact to have the means to instantly disguise yourself at will and to have a way to translate languages.

In fact, I'd better state this clearly. I wasn't in charge of GDT RP and really had no right insisting LineLiar change the name, etc. That is NOT the case here, and I will exercise my authority if required. However, I also realize that you'll be looking at this RP and miss Cybernauts, so here's the rules for submission...

1. The character can be a bit cheesy if you want. It must be an original character, but otherwise run wild. As long as they're interesting and not a blatant ripoff or cheap parody, I'll accept the character.

2. Timelines are a BIG thing for this RP, and each character has to come from a timeline. They can be pretty imaginative, but as long as the timeline sufficiently explains your wacky character AND their ability to travel between timelines, and isn't a "okay, so WWII never happened but 9/11 did" type of hack job, it is acceptable. Remember, the Butterfly Effect demands that if the timeline diverged from our own in, say, the year 3000 BC, none of the nations, cultures, languages or technological systems we recognize will be the same or even remotely compatible.

In order to keep everyone together, once a character has left a timeline, the "timey-wimey" nature of cross-timeline travel will leave them suspended in pseudo-time until all the other players have left the previous timeline or, barring that, died. Should you need to leave the RP, your character will "disappear" through capture by the timeline's native inhabitants and be left behind, and can reappear at an "unexpected moment" when you're available to play again.

One more thing. The alternate timelines are in no way meant to be fodder for political or religious conversations, no if's, and's or but's. They are admittedly probably biased to my views a bit, but I'm not going to go so far as to use this RP as a way to push an agenda and neither should you. That is all.

Now, onto the mechanics.

How do we always end up in different spots on Earth?
The gravitational field of a planet affects timeskipping by "anchoring" it to within that gravitational field, but thanks to the differences in gravity between timelines it introduces a bit of chaos and we could end up anywhere on Earth. Note that due to the moon's effects on the tide, we can't end up on a part of the Earth's surface which is covered by water. In addition, the gravitational field in the targeted timeline cannot deviate too far from the current one, so any version of Earth which has gone too far from the space it occupies in a standard timeline, collided with another celestial body, is feeling the effects of a moon that hit a celestial body or been flung away from Earth, or no longer has a sun is impossible to enter.

"Money" System
Instead of money, we have biotech microchips with brainwave transmitters called Psychic Coins (PsyCoins). They work as follows:

1. You ask to purchase an item at a marketplace, stall, grocery store, department store, etc.
2. You give a psychic coin to a merchant, shopowner, etc.
3. The merchant, shopowner, etc. and anyone else around will be "tricked" by the PsyCoin into thinking you just payed them with an appropriate amount of coins/cash.
4. The PsyCoin will degrade into carbon and silicon within 15 minutes.

To keep PsyCoins from degrading while YOU have them, you also have a Psychic Wallet which links with the Coins to tell them "don't turn to dust".

Also, because one PsyCoin is used for EVERY purchase no matter how big or small, you could buy a car with one PsyCoin for one purchase, and the next day be forced to use one for a mere few bottles of water because you're dehydrated.

Everyone starts out with no PsyCoins and no Psychic Wallet, but will get one before we leave the first timeline. If you join later on, then you will get the Psychic Wallet before the characters leave the timeline they are currently in. Psychic Wallets can create PsyCoins out of a sufficient amount of gold and silver, either a gold ring or silver ring, a gold or silver coin, or an outdated microchip.

This way, you'll have "money" despite the fact that an american dollar from timeline X which diverged from timeline 1 in the 1970s would not be legal tender in timeline Y which diverged in the 1940s, and most certainly would not be legal tender in timeline Z which diverged 10,000 years ago and thus North America is ruled by 4 or 5 nations mostly inhabited by Native American descendants which use lead coins and leather strips with branded emblems as currency.

EDIT: There is a secret organization that has had timeskip capablities for a while, and has been setting up "intertimeline black markets" whose customers will all be timeskippers. Expect to meet some weird faces if you come across one of these marketplaces, a few of which may be openly hostile to you. They use a "premium currency" called Aether which can only be gained from certain rare sources (no spoilers!), and sell equipment for "TARDIS-like" timeskip devices as well as many other interesting things.

Battle System
The Emote battle system goes as followed: Each RP-er will take turns (posts) to attack each other, the defender picks if the hit hits or not, he can parry, counter-attack, dodge, etc. The attacker however can find out twists and turns to use Logic against the opponent, making it undodgable, can't be parried, etc.

To KO someone, you must have 10 attack hit sucessfully OR 5 Mortal Wounds (Neck/Head & Heart and attacks that go through the body completely.)

-Breaking a limb will result in a NORMAL attack but incapacitate/disable that limb. Armor and cyborg limbs are MUCH harder to break. Magic may be capable of healing limbs in a single turn at the cost of attacking.

-If poison enters the body, expect extended incapacitation or an auto KO, unless you can get around it!

-Also, a major thing about the emote system! It also uses the honor system! Please try not to dodge EVERYTHING. (Let at least 1-3 attacks hit on purpose, etc)

You will need TWO things to sign up. Your character, and a rundown of their timeline. In the case of the latter, PM me if you can't think of an idea and I will do my best to assist you. Remember, the timeline has to diverge from our own, BUT I never said when. If you want your character to be from our timeline except he invented the means to travel between timelines last month and tested it, or found a magical ring that unbinds you from the timestream and used it to get away from an evil timeline-hopping sorcerer yesterday, go ahead. :) Also, Universe 1 is our timeline, and Universe 0 and Universe X are examples that don't really exist, so those three can't be used.

The Example

Home Timeline: 0
Biography:
Insert Biography here. If you want, put the character's real name here, since the point of naming your character "The Noun" is to be an unknown to foreign timelines, like a secret identity. This is also where you describe your "timeskip" method in detail. If you have a portable means of timeskipping, you're essentially homeless but probably have powerful weapons/magic. If you have a timeskipping Winnebago or a cardboard box that is TARDIS-esque, you get a control panel, bed, closet and a chooseable low-tech item inside the timeskip vehicle and get to have ONE weapon (gun or blade, no duel-weilding). The middle road is something like an SUV or sports car, which have no TARDIS-esque interior but are not portable, however they double as a method of transport for the owner and thus you get two weapons (to allow duel-wielding OR two different weapons) and the clothes on your back.

Timeline 0
Explanation of timeline goes here.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Timeskippers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:22:33 pm »

I am interested, I'll join in when I can, so many good ideas, I'm getting stretched thin
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:04 pm »

Ok im in just give me a day or two to work out the biography and back ground.

Im thinking alternate 30's on time line, i just want to use a few really world turning points to entirely reshape ww2.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:15:51 pm »

Spoiler: The Fool (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:47:25 pm »

Spoilers!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »

Ok loads of back ground on my alternate 30's timeline.

Name: Suse Rosenfeld

Home Timeline: 1940 A
It was less a chase of Suse being chosen from the mission and more picked on the grounds that she had an available car to test the device with.

The Kraft durch Freude Zeitreise Wagen Maschine, is converted from a Kraft durch Freude Wagen (Volkswagen Beetle).

Spoiler: Timeline (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG