Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do I find hematite?  (Read 3318 times)

firebirds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do I find hematite?
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:00 am »

My plan was to have steel bars ready prior to hitting the magma flow so I could immediately make my magma smelter.  Well I can't find hematite to make my steel bars and I've hit the flow.  What is the icon for hematite and any clue where I might find some?

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I find hematite?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:19:00 am »

It's a red metal ore (think that's $). Often found near the lava, can be as far forward as the chasm though. Just keep looking.

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »

Ore is always indicated by the British Pound symbol. Hematite is dark red.

Radtse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

I found mine between the chasm and lava.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 02:22:00 am »

You can speed the discovery of various ores by digging out along the bank of the magma river (or the river or chasm, although hematite and coal aren't found until after the chasm).  It lets you see a wide swath of terrain which you haven't physically reached yet, giving you an idea of where you need to dig.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 08:04:00 am »

Well, not quite true. By sheer coincidence a hematite vein in my last game was split by the chasm. If I had dug the side closest to the cliff entrance (instead of the other side where I had discovered it), I would've had iron/steel before crossing the chasm.

Mind, that only happened once out of a myriad of games. It's not a common occurrence.

weasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:12:00 am »

My fortress had the exact same problem; I bided my time just using coal to smelt more coal until I eventually found it. It appears as a dark red british pound symbol, when mined it turns into a *. I eventually found mine - after a year of searching - in the far bottom right corner of the map (near side of the magma).

firebirds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »

Thanks for the help, while still searching for it I've found platinum.  100+ dwarves and no food, not looking good for the home team.