Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do my soldiers only pick up some of their equipment, and archery training?  (Read 498 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've set up a quantum stockpile system (about 50% success rate in setting each one up, though), where I separate different things in different stockpiles. Thus, I have an armor stockpile containing e.g. leather greaves, leather armor, leather helmets, steel mail shirt, etc.
My crossbow squad picked up their leather armor just fine, but none of them have picked up their leather high boots or their leather helmets, so Dwarf Therapist displays that they lack equipment. Any idea of what's suddenly blocking pickup? I've got a piece of iron armor I've marked for melting in the pile. Dumping a helmet and then unforbid it after being dumped causes it to be returned, but it doesn't get anyone to pick it up.
I've also gotten Dwarf Therapist reports about missing very specific equipment, e.g. "+Angelshark leather waterskin+", an order that might be hard to fulfil. I think I've gotten the equipment setup to select partial matches, but I'm a bit confused as to whether "r: Over clthng   m:Partial matches" on the Military Uniforms screen means Over Clothing/Partial Matches is selected or whether it means that is what it's changes to when hitting r/m. DF isn't consistent when it comes to displaying state or action, unfortunately.
Finally, I haven't figured out how to consistently get the crossbowdwarves to equip bolts suitable for training, and certainly not how to get them to switch for action. Is there some description of how to manage this somewhere? Nor have I been able to get them to consistently equip their full allotment of bots (e.g. 50 bolts), as they pick up a single stack most of the time (although I've sometimes seen them carry two kinds of metal bolts).

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When it comes to over/replace.  What you see in the text is the current setting, not what it will toggle to when that key is pressed.  So it's showing current state, and yes the interface is full of this sort of thing.  Yay, fun!

Not certain exactly whats with your piles, i dont normally quantum to that degree and dont recognise the issue you are having.  It sounds like you've got specific matches somewhere if its talking about specific objects.  As a rule you want replace clothing and not over clothing or they will fail to equip some of their items due to shaped piece conflicts.  The wiki can guide you to designing armor sets that are valid for over and/or replace, You may only have 1 SHAPED tag per bodypart.

Archery training.  Don't assign training bolts and combat bolts if you can help it (or hunting).  Yes it would be ideal to train with bone and fight with steel but ive never got it to work with any consistency.  The bolt assignment seems to be specific matches.  Theres some key you can hit in that ammo screen that switches the view to specific items (like the stocks screen, it may be tab or x or something, been a while).

Even if you get it properly worked out you will find this a hassle.  If you try and station your marksdwarves anywhere they will take weeks to deploy as they all try and find combat bolts, sometimes failing to ditch their training/hunting bolts first and turning up with ammunition they refuse to fire or getting stuck in loops on ammo stockpiles.  Is buggy unless this was fixed in the latest round of releases.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:34:47 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile

A few quick things that may or may not be causing problems:

1. Marking something to melt is only half of the melting equation.  You also have to queue up a melt job at a furnace.

2. Over clothing is buggy.  Use replace.  If you want them to wear clothing under their armor, add it to the armor profile.

3. Make sure you have way more than enough bolts.  Squads that don't exist but still have bolts assigned will claim those bolts (hunters squads, even if you have no hunters, will claim and reserve all the bolts assigned to them, even if they are in a stockpile).

3a.  Bolts may or may not be bugged with bins.  I find bolts work a ton better when they aren't in bins.

3b.  Assign only one kind of bolt to a squad at a time.  Marksdwarves are notorious for being horrible about switching between training and military bolts.  Best to manually assign each whenever they're training or patrolling respectively.

3c.  They almost never pick up any more than a single stack of bolts.  Known bug.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks!

I don't have anything shaped, so that's not an issue. However, I may try changing to Replace, to see if that works better. For my leather clad troops, I think some clothing is needed if I'm going to set up a danger room, since leather armor seems to leave vulnerable areas.

1. Yes, I've got melting set up, but there's a pile of stuff I need to melt (including the steel hammers I realized were better replaced with silver ones, freeing the steel up for armor, as I've got no iron sources except trading and possibly scavenging).

3. Haven't touched hunter settings, so it remains at 100 metal bolts. The setting I'm trying to get for my crossbowdwarves is 180 unspecified wooden bolts (as I have 7 dwarves in the squad, and wooden stack size seems to normally be 25). However, one of them refuses to let go of his metal bolts, including when I've changed the squad to use melee weapons instead. I've got enough of both bone and wood bolts. My understanding is that they'll refuse to train with metal bolts, so I'm trying to go with wood for the time being, resigning myself to go with wood for war if need be.

3a. I've read about bugs with bolts and bins, so I use a quantum stockpile for bolts.

3b. I'm trying to get them to pick up only wooden bolts, but I don't want to specify it down to specific kind of wood and quality.

Hm, yes, changing to replace clothing seems to get the buggers to pick their stuff up. Pity that they leave piles of clothing dropped all over the place, though!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:30:59 pm by PatrikLundell »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have anything shaped, so that's not an issue.

Unlikely. Caps (and masks) are shaped, which prevents dwarves from wearing helms, and my dwarves seem to always start with caps. The only other thing that could interfere with helmets would be multiple headcoverings (eg. turban + veil).

Shoes, however, are not shaped, but they are too big to fit inside boots. Any dwarf already wearing shoes will be unable to equip boots as well.

Hm, yes, changing to replace clothing seems to get the buggers to pick their stuff up. Pity that they leave piles of clothing dropped all over the place, though!

After they equip their uniform you can toggle it back to "over clothing" to get your dwarves to pick up any of their clothing that doesn't conflict with their armor.