Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jewelers  (Read 888 times)

slugabed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Jewelers
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

Because this game loves to mock me, my only fey moods lately have been two jewelers. So I noticed that the Jeweler profession only relates to the encrusting of items with gems. Does being Legendary in this skill somehow allow higher value encrusting?

Also, for some reason these guys love to encrust my siege weapon parts. When I make the final weapon, will it also be encrusted?

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jewelers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

I like legendary gem cutters, but I've always found legendary jewelers to be useless. I usually turn them into super-fast hauler/weaver/auto-takers.

The procedure for Encrusting is kinda wonky at the moment, they tend to encrust the nearest free item, so my guess is that you have a siege stockpile/workshop near your jewelers shop. Getting a Jeweler to encrust a specific item is a big pain, but possible with creative custom stockpiles, locked rooms, and tons of patience.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Neopergoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

Well according to the above post, the jeweler skill does not affect the value of encrusted items.  In that case, this skill must make encrusting occur more quickly.  I mean, it has to do something, and I can't think of anything else.  So, not completely useless, but much worse than almost any other skill :\

I suspect that even if your siege engine is not encrusted, you can always destroy it and the encrusted parts will reappear.

A: brb
B: what does "brb" mean?
A: be right back
B: (aww...why do they always leave whenever I ask them that?)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:28:00 am »

Huh?  Legendary Jewellers usually do those jobs quickly, and they usually are higher quality decorations as well.